Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm gonna meet a guy tomorrow to take a look at a 1977 Pantera he's selling. Any basic questions I should ask or things I should look for? I basically have zero history with snowmobiles, but am fairly handy and can work on stuff myself. He claims low miles for the year, so we will see what that means exactly when we get there.

Just looking for an easy to work on machine that can pull an ice fishing sled.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a 76 or 78 cant remember. Basically in my opinion make sure its decent cosmetically. They have a 500cc Fan-Cooled Suzuki engine with a single Mikuni Carb. Check the clutch. Just make sure it operates smoothly when you rev it up if you get the chance. They also have a metal 3/4 cleated track. Make sure its not missing a bunch of cleats( they tear off sometimes)or are worn thru.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a 76 or 78 cant remember. Basically in my opinion make sure its decent cosmetically. They have a 500cc Fan-Cooled Suzuki engine with a single Mikuni Carb. Check the clutch. Just make sure it operates smoothly when you rev it up if you get the chance. They also have a metal 3/4 cleated track. Make sure its not missing a bunch of cleats( they tear off sometimes)or are worn thru.
So far it seems decent for what I ended up paying. Cold start takes some encouragement on the throttle to keep it from dying, but I haven't pulled anything apart for cleaning yet.

It's actually got dual Mikuni VM32s. Gonna pull them apart to clean, so hopefully that will help with the idle. Probably wouldn't hurt to do the same with the fuel pump. Bunch of old dried out fuel lines that I'll replace as well.

Clutch engages around 4500rpm. I think that's higher than what the factory manual specifies, but we'll have to see how that actually performs when there's some snow on the ground.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So far it seems decent for what I ended up paying. Cold start takes some encouragement on the throttle to keep it from dying, but I haven't pulled anything apart for cleaning yet.

It's actually got dual Mikuni VM32s. Gonna pull them apart to clean, so hopefully that will help with the idle. Probably wouldn't hurt to do the same with the fuel pump. Bunch of old dried out fuel lines that I'll replace as well.

Clutch engages around 4500rpm. I think that's higher than what the factory manual specifies, but we'll have to see how that actually performs when there's some snow on the ground.
Yeah I couldnt remember exactly what year the one I had was but it had the single Mikuni setup. Lots of bottom end power! Good Luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts