Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bang your head had to replace recoil spring,went bought new one ,$40 simple install right ,well every thing went ok till i cut the retaining wire,
spring uncoiled, flew out @#$#, tried to recoil but near lost my fingers, now does anyone have a tip to rewind the spring or should i just spend $40 + labour ($65 hr ) and have dealer inst.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I have never rewound one on an AC but I have for lawnmowers, weedwackers and rc cars. Usuaully takes alot of patience, needle nose pliers and a flat head screw driver. wish i could be of more help

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Get a piece of wood approximately one foot square to make a jig. Get eight or ten 1.5" common nails (with flat heads) and one 1.5" finishing nail. Make a jig, by nailing the common nails in a circle of similar size to final diameter for the coiled spring to fit when finally installed. Get two or three pieces of tape and place them radially from the center of the jig with sticky side up. Take the spring and put the finishing nail through end loop of the coil spring near the center of the jig. Put the finishing nail in a similar position that would reflect where it would be on the final install. Now, with the center end of the coil spring secured, start coiling the spring inside the common nails so that the heads of the nails hold the spring down and the sides of the nails hold the spring in. Once you have finished coiling the spring, take the pieces of tape that are now under the spring and secure the spring with the tape. Make sure the tape is bound tight and hold the spring securely. Once you have done that, you can lift the spring out from the jig and install it. Getting the tape out might be a little tricky. I usually cut it on the top and very carefully pull the pieces out from behind the installed spring. It can be tedious. If it's real difficult to remove, I'll spray with some WD-40 to loosen it up.
Good luck and let us know how you do.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts