Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new here.

My father told me to dig out his old sled and put it up for sale. After quite a bit of moving stuff around i finally got it out. It hasnt been run/ridden/registered since 1980 so theres a considerable amount of filth/bird sh*t covering it.

I got it into my shop today and found out that it is a 1974 Panther 440 VIP. Came with elec. start, automatic oiler, and the Cat-a-matic transmission. I sprayed a bit of ether into the airbox and believe it or not she fired right up, AND IDLED! I could not believe that! I do however have a severe problem with it running rich. Infact she runs so rich that there is oil coming out of the exhaust and pooling on the floor. We ran it for a minute, and there was so much smoke that you couldnt see 15feet in front of you.

I have a few questions, If anyone is familiar with this sled i would appreciate any first hand info you could give me.

1. whats the trick to adjusting the oiler?
2. whats the market value on this sled today? (its in such good of shape, im on the fence of parting with it)

Thanks in advance,
I'll post pictures asap.

·
Registered
553 Posts
wow! sounds like a nice sled!
hope you can post a pic or 2..

lots of smoke, perhaps when it was last stored way back then they put alot of oil down the plugs to keep the engine from seizing up. might take a little more running to clear that up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found out that the Panther VIP was only offered one year. The cat-a-matic fluid drive transmission was never seen again because of the added weight.

Something happened overnight, today it WILL NOT start. I now have no spark now at all. Does anyone know of a way to test a CDI box?

Will post pictures tommorrow

·
Registered
474 Posts
If you are totally stuck I do have a copy of the original shop manual for this sled. That might help. Also I never use straight ether on a two stroke engine. It's better to use a premix squirt bottle. Ether will drive the oil away and eventually you will sieze the engine. Yeah I know, people have gotten away with it for years, but it eventually will catch up to you. I got a nice dead Cat Wankel engine block that looks like someone took a jack hammer to the inside. Yup, owner started it up on ether in 1974 and peeled the Nikasil plating off like old cheese. We keep it around as an example.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts