Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
How big are the cracks? On fiberglass hoods, I buy a repair kit With resin and glass mat and repair bigger cracks, sand and paint. If you have spider cracks, i use a glazing compound by Bondo, then sand and paint.

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
Fiberglass is relatively easy to work with, Bondo fiberglass kit has instructions. Work the repair from the inside of the belly pan, then smear some resin on the out side of the pan and sand down when dry. Make sure to rough up the inside of the pan area good so the glass and resin will adhere. I didn't do that on my first repair and it bubbled off. Like any body repair, if you take your time, it will come out looking like a professional did it. There are no quick easy fixes for fiberglass. Just permenent ones.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If the cracks are only on the outside they are called spider cracks in the outer layer called the gelcoat. If you try to fill them without grinding a groove in them they will most likely reapear. The best way to fix them is to grind a small groove about 1/8" wide all along the crack and fill with body filler then sand and repaint. If you know of a body shop with experience on Corvetts ask them they are fiberglass bodied.

If the cracks are all the way through the fiberglass then you need to do some heavy sanding on the inside about 2 inches on both sides of the crack and use the fiberglass mat and resin to create a structural repair first and then move to the outside gelcoat repair as stated above.

Talk to your local auto body supply house they can guide you through the process.

None of this is difficult but it can be time consuming so take your time and don't rush it.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Spanky please take pics and document your process and progress, I will be needing to do the same to my 73 el tigre. I am curious if that product called POLLYALL 2000 would work on this, now that they're making it again. Has anyone tried it ?

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
Spanky please take pics and document your process and progress, I will be needing to do the same to my 73 el tigre. I am curious if that product called POLLYALL 2000 would work on this, now that they're making it again. Has anyone tried it ?
Sounds like an interesting product, but from what i seen on their web site, they still use a fiberglass mat on the repair anyway. Also they used the fiberglass mat on the outside of the hood, which is not the way to repair the hood.

·
Registered
201 Posts
If the cracks are only on the outside they are called spider cracks in the outer layer called the gelcoat. If you try to fill them without grinding a groove in them they will most likely reapear. The best way to fix them is to grind a small groove about 1/8" wide all along the crack and fill with body filler then sand and repaint. If you know of a body shop with experience on Corvetts ask them they are fiberglass bodied.

If the cracks are all the way through the fiberglass then you need to do some heavy sanding on the inside about 2 inches on both sides of the crack and use the fiberglass mat and resin to create a structural repair first and then move to the outside gelcoat repair as stated above.

Talk to your local auto body supply house they can guide you through the process.

None of this is difficult but it can be time consuming so take your time and don't rush it.
Good advice. As said, if it's a crack in the glass, chase it to the end of the crack and grind it out, or it will reappear. The cracks in the gelcoat will reappear if you don't sand them all the way out. To do it right, you're going to need to repaint when the repairs are all made.

I'd be tempted to try some long hair filler if the spider cracks are real bad and you have time to work on it. It's just filler with fiberglass strands in it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
For your final sanding, you could use 600 grit dry. For the glass work and sculpting, you could get away with 180 or 220 if you're really careful. Invest in some icing for the small scratches. It is easy to work with and you can make a very small batch at a time. Your local paint supply store will carry this. Just be sure that anything you apply resin, glass or putty to is already sanded, so it has some "tooth" to get ahold of. Otherwise, it will eventually flake off and you'll be back to square one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.