Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
I have a 1973 el-tigre 400 (twin plugs per cylinder) that is getting a motor re-work this summer. We also have a 1972 399 panther about 95% original and in great shape.

·
Registered
601 Posts
No its not snowing in the garage. Just a little bit of dust from cleaning up.

[attachment=51322:attachment] [attachment=51323:attachment]

You think he is ready for his sled to be done yet.
Notice the lack of motor under the hood. It might make it to the shop this winter.

[attachment=51324:attachment] [attachment=51325:attachment]

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jkd37 @ Oct 6 2006, 09:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
No its not snowing in the garage. Just a little bit of dust from cleaning up.

[attachment=51322:attachment] [attachment=51323:attachment]

You think he is ready for his sled to be done yet.
Notice the lack of motor under the hood. It might make it to the shop this winter.

[attachment=51324:attachment] [attachment=51325:attachment][/b]
Decals look like a 74 eltigre, are you sure its a 73??

·
Registered
601 Posts
The decals on the sled are not to spec for what was installed on the '74. I think it had a hood or decal swap at some point. The chassis and electrical are a '73. The motor is a new to me '74.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nice job. I fixed one up for my father. It was a one owner, who finally upgraded to a 1991 jag.

It needed a crank seal. For no suspension travel, it rides suprisingly good. I wasn't keen on the handle bars/ape hangers. But then I drove it. Comfortable seating position. Has to be tops in my book for that era. Excellent trail breaker.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I worked on Cats from 1967 through 2001, and still dabble occasionally. What are you trying to repair on your '73? Most everything is relatively simple, except for the electrical which Arctic changed in 1973 and always had problems with. This pretty much included all '73's as well as '74 Lynx (which used left-over '73 components).
Feel free to ask any questions you may have and I will do my best to assist.

Good luck!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I am in the process of searching the vin numbers. Seems like there were a few pre production 73's out there, but it was formally released for 74.

·
Registered
477 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cheetah73 @ Nov 1 2009, 07:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (catridingogre @ Nov 1 2009, 05:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How about a '73 panther vip? Have a pair of them, one runs and the other is being rebuilt at the moment.[/b]
I thought the Panther VIP was only made in 1974??
[/b][/quote]
There is some discrepencies as to the VIP production numbers. They actually mass produced them in late 73(with 73 serial numbers), but didnt release them until the 74 season. They also produced them in 74. Its believed there is around 4000 were produced both years. So they are not as rare as some believe. I have 2 with 73 serial numbers.

·
Registered
148 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lonestar11 @ Dec 29 2009, 06:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
What is different about a vip? I have a 73 panther 400 with a name plate on the cab with the orininal owners name on it.[/b]
VIP had an automatic transmission. Sled is heavy and will cruise at 50ish mph all day and somewhat unique.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts