Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the girl out this past weekend went 40 miles no problem. Parked her for the night and she would not start in the morning. Thought she was flooded, plugs were dry. Fuel filter running good. Tapped the carb (mikuni) and fuel pump a few times with a screw driver, as I was not anywhere where I could take off and work on it, and she went. All ok first but then she acted like not enough gas. Max speed 20 m/hr and sputtering. Tried her again today. She started but seemed much louder than before.

Anybody have any ideas what could be wrong? Could it be exhaust related? Maybe muffler colapsed inside or something?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 73 440 cheetah just acted the same. I rode it approx. 5 miles with no problem and then it back fired and lost all top end. I actually thought I blew it up. I shut it off, checked it out and didn't find anything wrong. After it cooled for approx. 5 minutes it started and ran fine for 1 mile then did it again. I got it home and replaced both coils and 2 new plugs. It started first pull but was very sluggish and no top end, still back firing through exhaust. Onto the truck to my Buddy "Animals" shop who races old cats. He replaced the seal that was leaking onto them and both points and condensers. One of the new coils that the leaky seal fried, and 1 motor mount. The sled now runs like new. Good luck.

·
Registered
391 Posts
what do the plugs look like after you run it?

also, what engine? have you cleaned the carb?

those have the old exhaust system, i dont think they had much affect on how they ran, but i could be wrong. i know my 78 jag ran great even after my buddy ran it into my sled and smashed the exhaust. so i doubt that is the issue but diff engine so idk.

i would think a blown gasket if it got louder.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So...realizing this is a 2-year old post, but relating to other machines - a VW, a snowcat, etc., one thought is a bit of water in the fuel lines. It can freeze and plug up the filter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts