Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never replaced spark plug wires before. The boot fell off after checking why it wouldn't start. Looks like the spark plug boot just slid on. I don't know how it made contact. I have all new boots and wires. Do I need to put a terminal on the end going to the coil? There are no leads? I've never taken a coil apart. Do I take it apart put wore in and crimp it? Thanks gang. I'm excited just got these sleds and want to have some fun this fall and winter. 1st need to get it started! Thanks again!!

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
The wires on a 73 are not replaceable. You would have to replace the whole coil for that. Only the caps are replaceable. after removing the old caps, clip 1/4" off the end of the wire, and the new caps screw on to the wire. Tighten the cap by holding the wire close to the end, and turn clockwise until it won't turn anymore. Your points could use a little cleaning probably also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you so much!!! I have purchased some new coils I will have to see if what I really got is correct. thanks so much for the help. you rock 73pumamod! I got my 73 puma 340 going this winter, was frozen when it arrived. but that needs a carb rebuild I think! I've bought like 4walbros and found 1 rebuild kit! hopefully I have everything for a rebuild now! and just got the 73 440 cheetah, from Mich and it is supposed to be in excellent shape save for the boot falling off. and also just got a 73 puma 440 with elec start and that fired up, and I got a couple dirt rips in. I am hoping my wife and I can enjoy some trails this winter! I grew up on a 73 340 puma that my dad bought us from our good friends the Sullivans. I am still friends with the Sullivan kids I grew up with now 43 yrs later and the Sullivans have a lot of classic arctic cats!!! continuing the family arctic cat legacy!!! and love of arctic cats. that puma 340 growing up was so incredible. so much freedom and fun! thanks again for your awesome advice!!

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
I haven't read a post in a long time with your enthusiasm. Great to see! The Walbro WD/ WDA/ WF's are getting harder to find kits for, for sure. Many are converting to a Mikuni 34mm with a single fuel pump. The Mikuni is easier to tune, parts are easily obtainable, and makes the sled easier to start with no heat sync like the Walbro. Good luck on all your old Cat's!!

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts