Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Good Morning,
I have stumbled on to a real nice almost untouched 72 ext 400 twin red tag (T1A400F1) motor, Part 0110-453, serial # 2099211. I am 49 years young and feel like a kid again after finding this rare piece of history ! As a child I was lucky enough to have parents that bought me a 1974 340 eltigre while my father rode the 1974 400 eltigre. Those were great times and i am very excited to learn more about this sled. Hope to hear from you guys. I am looking for the 1972 EXT service manual ? Please !Rockerdude
cool find!
PM sent

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks Jeff, It looks exactly the same with more dust. Found it by accident inquiring about some other parts for another sled. Do you still have parts for this one?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Cat back in the 70's always used stuff up they had laying around. All the cases and stuff are interchange all the way up until 75 on those engines. Alot could of happen over the years also sled could of threw a rod needed a new case. Or they just got a different engine at a salvage yard. Who knows. Cat did make alot of stuff out with left over parts. If someone tells you that its the wrong engine that cant be 100% right. Unless they rode down the line when the sled was built. No one knows for sure. If you want a red tag on it you can buy a red tag. They have repop tags you can buy. I have seen them for sale on vintagesleds.com

·
Registered
2 Posts
All the 1972 EXT twins are red tagged. There are significant differences in the porting and compression between the 1971 Black Tag T1A400F1A and the 1972 Red Tag T1A400RS1A race engines. Arctic Enterprise serial numbers give the model year by the first digit. So yes the chassis is a 1972. What you have is a 1971 engine in a 1972 chassis. If you could find the model number sticker on the tunnel, that could be interpreted as to what size engine is supposed to be in it. Sadly these often fall off with old age. I've got all the parts manuals and some shop data for the old EXT racers and I often give away copies when asked nicely. We need to save these beauties from the crusher, as the 1972's were one of Cats winningest racers ever and begat the El-Tigre and Jag trail sleds that we all grew up riding.
Hi Greg
Hal Armstrong here
Did all the 72 EXT sleds have an aluminum bulk head?

·
Registered
391 Posts
I had a old EXT 440 back in the day. But mine was a three cylinder. Wish I had it now LOL.. Triple pipes, Stingers, no lights. Best sounding sled I ever heard SCREAM !! The crank bent, Was a Kaw motor as I remember. Mine was bought NEW from Frank Davis Cat Dealer in Hopewell NY.. Frank was a BIG Arctic Cat Racer. It was STRANGE how Frank could build, tune a race motor, Because he was 90% deaf in both ears...
Obituary of Phyllis J. Davis | Fuller Funeral Home

·
Registered
391 Posts
COPY/ PASTED
The Kawasaki motor first appeared in an Arctic Cat 1970 and used a T1A440S1A motor. The motors were slightly different but they were still a T1 motor. I have one of these if anyone is curious as to the differences. T1As were used through 1972 but the free-air version arrived and was first used in the 71 EXT. T1AXXXF1A, T1AXXXF2A, and T1AXXXF3A are all correct model motors the the 71 EXT. The 72 EXT used an improved version of the 71 EXT free-air motor model numbers T1AXXXRS1A. The 3 cylinder varieties of the 72 EXT were T3AXXXR2A. All of these T1XXXRS1A free-air motors had red tags but a "batch" of black tagged ones is rumored to exist.

"Racing" Free Air Cat Engine

21 - 29 of 29 Posts