Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 69 Panther won’t run full throttle idles perfect, just rebuilt the HD13 A Tillotson but same problem, floods out and gas comes out the carb unless i restrict fuel flow?? The motor is a P19j ??? Any ideas

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
CatFever900;do you know anything about a Tillotson carburetor? Because a Tillotson, doesn't have a float and the choke is a simple lever that closes the choke butterfly, so it can't be "stuck". By the way, this is my 69 Panther, a "P19" meaning 19 horsepower. Mine is an "S" meaning Sachs 295cc single

OP check your main jet

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Nice sled. I seen a few like that up in Minnesota at the vintage sled show . It was mercury sleds that year but a lot of old cats up there..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Thought it was the same as a 73 . Guess not. Before my time..
As a matter of fact I just happen have a 440, 73 sitting in the garage right now. And it has the same style "Impulse" carburetor as a Tillotson. It's a Walbro model WDA-31. the Arctic Cat part number for this Carburetor is 0170-023. You will see on the second page the side view of it and the built in impulse system that replaced a float.

So the 73 you referred to must have had its carb replaced or you didn't realize sleds of that era didn't have any floats at all. Some members may see that as well and if they have a carb with floats, it's been replaced.

Here is the manual for the 1973 Arctic Cat Panther's carburetor;
https://vintagesleds.com/library/manuals/misc/walboro/Walbro-WD-WDA-WR.pdf

·
Registered
220 Posts
I think mine is a p-19 too, but with a 309 Kohler 1 cylinder. There is an aluminum freeze plug like thing inside the fuel pump portion of the carb. Mine will vibrate loose and same problem, tons of fuel pouring out and won't start. I take the carb apart, tap that little plug back in, reassembele, and its good for awhile again. I should go check on the old girl, its been in a semi trailer for about 5 years now.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
I think mine is a p-19 too, but with a 309 Kohler 1 cylinder. There is an aluminum freeze plug like thing inside the fuel pump portion of the carb. Mine will vibrate loose and same problem, tons of fuel pouring out and won't start. I take the carb apart, tap that little plug back in, reassembele, and its good for awhile again. I should go check on the old girl, its been in a semi trailer for about 5 years now.
The P-"19" the "19 part" is the horsepower. Your's should say "P-19K" the "K" refers to the engine make. Mine was a Sachs so it's a P-19S

Heres the Boss Cat Legacy 1969 page;

The Boss Cat Legacy

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
I have a 69 Panther won’t run full throttle idles perfect, just rebuilt the HD13 A Tillotson but same problem, floods out and gas comes out the carb unless i restrict fuel flow?? The motor is a P19j ??? Any ideas
Getting back to your problem. When you rebuilt it, did you check and adjust the metering lever? Sounds like it's leaking too much gas. https://tillotson.ie/resources/#manuals , https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=Awr9Fq20R3dcOqYAVv9XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEycnZxN3FmBGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMyBHZ0aWQDQjY4OThfMQRzZWMDc2M-?p=Tillotson+HD+carb&fr=yfp-t

1 - 10 of 10 Posts