Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got two Super Duty's. I bought 12" wheels and 27" tires for one, now its time for the other. Is there really much of a difference in the ride when going with 14" wheels? For example, if I went with 14" wheels and the same 27" tires for the other ATV could I tell a ride difference between the two
? Thaniks guys.

Reactions: red_russian1

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
The tires are the most influence on ride. I've had 30" Mudzillas on 14" rims on my Diesel, they sucked, but I'm 99% sure it was the super hard tires. Diameter of rims would not influence me. IMHO, the Diesel needs at least 27's, especially if you've turned the fuel screw in. Those rims and tires on the one on the right look serious! I often ride 2 up so I appreciate the heavy springs on the Diesel, looks like you use yours. You are lucky to have 2, I would trade my 700 TRV for another Diesel in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well then maybe Ill get 14" wheels with the same 10mm back spacing and some more 27" tires. I havent turned in the fuel screws on EITHER rig yet. That's coming this spring. Ive got Speed Werks mufflers on both.

Reactions: Wallamatogus

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Wall. The only Gasser vehicle I own is a 1971 VW Karmann Gia convertible. Lol

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, what about that 10mm offset. If I get 0mm offset wheels will they stick out more, or be tucked in more?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I guess 0mm offset would be more akin to a 5 x 2 situation, meaning the rim would stick out more than a 4 x 3 which is equal to 10mm offset. I guess Ill try and find some 4 x 3 wheels. I like how they stay under the fender well.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Speedwerx muffler is nice, 4x4hans has one on his in Namibia and I have one on my 700 TRV.. I just gutted out the stock one and welded on a big tip. Exhaust sounds great now, might reduce egts, if you crank in the fuel screw. You could also easily run a 28" tire. I think I turned up my fuel screw the first week, haha. Whatever offset you have on those black rims looks perfect.First pic 27" MST's on 12" ITP SS rims, second 14" Arctic Cat Rims with 30" Mudzillas. Don't remember the offset, but the ITP's stick out more, so I put the fender extentions on.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
pending tire construction YES you will notice a difference, as your loosing 2 inches of side wall, that means, less protection from rocks on your wheels and more or less side wall flex spending what what sized wheel your running!

ever run a load c or a d or a E tire on your truck(if you have one) then you will notice the flex in side wall
it will be sort of like this, only again when you have less rubber between ground and wheel, when you run over things like ricks and such, your more likely to get wheel damage
as you just have less tire to take the impact
as ATV tires are run on LOW air pressure, and in part the flex in tire is part of the ride quality
so when you give up[ less rubber between wheel and ground you get different ride quality!
science here not just an opinion!

and pending again the construction of the tire, you may even get a HEAVIER or lighter tire, as when you take a larger hole for a larger wheel, many times they beef up the tire to have same load capacity!
thus it can make the tire heavier than the smaller wheel one(or the other way)
and again the weight of a tire wheel, will effect the handling of the atv due to how it allows the suspension to work
more weight in motion or less, again science here , NOT just my opinion!
so, 100% changing wheel size but keeping tire diameter size can effect handling and ride quality!
how MUCH< comes the magic question,a nd its again based on a LOT of variables
from again tire construction, weight difference from other sized wheel./tire combo
to how much a difference YOU feel is many times personal, pending how and where you ride atv and its overall use!

for most its NOT a deal breaker as most times folks switching to bigger wheels are after LOOKS any how, and don;t really care about performance! IMO

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ive got two Super Duty's. I bought 12" wheels and 27" tires for one, now its time for the other. Is there really much of a difference in the ride when going with 14" wheels? For example, if I went with 14" wheels and the same 27" tires for the other ATV could I tell a ride difference between the two View attachment 366285 ? Thaniks guys.
Really depends on the kind of ride characteristics you are looking for. Same diameter tires will have a firmer, stiffer, or more rigid ride with the larger diameter wheels. However, they will also give you a little better control as well. The same diameter tire on a smaller diameter rim has more air, and more rubber, to absorb shocks and bumps better. Will also tend to flex more on hard turns. So, if you ride a lot of rough trails, or do any jumps, or really unexpected trail characteristics then the smaller rims give you a better overall ride. If you are on graded surfaces (like trails by railways, etc.) then the firmer characteristics of the bigger wheels will give you a little better handling. Keep in mind, this is not going to be radically different, but, will make enough of a difference that if you ride it a lot you will notice.

This then leads to the next thing, you CAN counteract the firmer (and in my opinion a little better) ride of the larger wheels with better shocks or suspension improvements.

Keep in mind that the softer ride you get from the smaller wheels (but same size tires) can get a little "squirrelly" on hard turns where the firmer characteristics of the larger wheels and same diameter tires will have better cornering control (but a firmer / rougher ride). It's a tradeoff, you decide what matters to you. Less air and less rubber (larger wheels) means stiffer / firmer ride.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone. Can you recommend shock upgrades?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
shock up grades? well ELKA's come to mind , GOOD shock;s you know are FAR from cheap , and they too require maintenance , there not a buy an forget item!
so, right now,about the most common upgraded options ate Elka's IMO
and something else NO one mentioned, there is also a BIG difference in tire construction, from BIAS PLY and Radial tires too you know?
sale with HOW many PLY the tire is!

·
Registered
80 Posts
shock up grades? well ELKA's come to mind , GOOD shock;s you know are FAR from cheap , and they too require maintenance , there not a buy an forget item!
so, right now,about the most common upgraded options ate Elka's IMO
and something else NO one mentioned, there is also a BIG difference in tire construction, from BIAS PLY and Radial tires too you know?
sale with HOW many PLY the tire is!
At one time I had toyed with the idea of getting some used Polaris Fox Shocks from the older ATVs. Many of them are decent and they are rebuildable. You can replace the seals and pistons in them and put new, higher quality damper oil in them. In the end I chose to go with the cheap replacements.

Here is the post to the shocks I used. They actually work really well and they are so cheap I just chucked the last ones in the trash after 3.5 years and they were still okay, but needed a refresh. The really do work well. I would suspect they might give just a little better ride with the bigger wheels. They have a about an extra inch of travel and length.

I also changed the bushings. These rubber bushings work really well and give a nice, soft ride but these bushings only last for about 1 season. They get beat up and I change them every year. Some poly shock bushings would be great though!

·
Administrator
38,400 Posts
There are poly-urethane bushings out there as well as UHMW bushings.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
At least you can modify the front A Arm bushings to reduce positive caster. I shimmed mine 1/10" , helped the steering a lot. Bronco may make shocks as well. I have no complaint with the oem shocks. I ride 2 up a lot and my only gripe is the lack of power steering! The diesels are heavy. Play around with tire pressures, you may want to run a bit more than you would in a gas model, especially on front. I really don't think my diesel rides any different than my 700TRV and not having a rear sway bar may actually make it netter in the really rough stuff.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts