Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about installing an electric water temp guage in my sleds. One is a zr600 cce which I know has 12 volt dc for the fuel pump, the other is a zl 550 esr. Does the zl 550 have 12 volt dc without the battery installed or is it 12 volt ac. I would think you would need the dc to charge the battery. Thanks, any and all info will be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
just went through this on my 94 ZR. i used a cat temp gauge kit. its mechanical and works great.

now i did however have a need for 12 volts dc for my heated shield and my gps. what i did was this, got a universal regulator/rectifier its a 4 wire one, 2 yellow one red and one black. i unplugged the stock regulator and left it unplugged. i then ran 2 wires from the 2 yellow wires on the regulator/rectifier to the 2 yellow wires at the engine, the 2 yellow wires coming from the stater on the engine side of the plug. after doing this i fired it up. checked voltage on the red and black wires. all i could get was 5-7 volts. i assume it is because of the old style 3 pulse stater. so i decided to get a small 12 volt dry cell battery. mounted it where the stock air box was and its all good now. with the engine off its 13.5 volts, with it running its 14.2. so the rectifier is charging the battery while the engine is running. the gps loves it! i have the part number for the rectifier somewhere and will try to get some pics of it.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
The red wire off the regulator charges the battery. It does not put out a fully rectified voltage. It's a single diode, but it's adequate for charging a battery. You'd probably measure about 7 volts DC using a meter.

Standard off the shelf rectifiers may have problems working correctly at the frequency of AC voltage that the sleds produce. They are designed for 60 hz and sleds are a lot higher. Putting the small battery in there is a good idea.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
the red and black wires are dedicated to the battery only. i managed to only burn up one headlight bulb figuring this out. the 12 volt system is stand alone. do not ground anything you want 12 volts dc to the frame. if you do this it will convert the entire system to 7 volts. the lights will be very dim. anything that needs 12 volts dc has to be hooked up straight to the battery. this should make my heated shield work like it should. hooking it to the yellow and brown wires seemed to always get poor results.

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
so im assuming the older batery efi sleds use a rectifier somewhere to change it over to dc. what about using a rectifier/regulator off a 96 and older sled? or dont these sleds have rectifiers?

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ArcticKelly @ Nov 15 2009, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
so im assuming the older batery efi sleds use a rectifier somewhere to change it over to dc. what about using a rectifier/regulator off a 96 and older sled? or dont these sleds have rectifiers?[/b]
Not sure on that, but I do know the battery EFI's have twice the lighting coil then the batteryless EFI. Seen a few of both lately.

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
so what would it take to wind a stator for me the could have a good charging system?

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
You would need available spare posts. There's other possibilities too, but I haven't been able to test my theories.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ArcticKelly @ Nov 15 2009, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
do you have the p/n for that? i might look into that[/b]
the one i got was 01-154-16

there is another one that supposedly just has to be plugged into the stock regulator plug.

that one is 01-090-1

they look exactly the same but i guess they are different.

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rshel @ Nov 15 2009, 12:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I am thinking about installing an electric water temp guage in my sleds. One is a zr600 cce which I know has 12 volt dc for the fuel pump, the other is a zl 550 esr. Does the zl 550 have 12 volt dc without the battery installed or is it 12 volt ac. I would think you would need the dc to charge the battery. Thanks, any and all info will be much appreciated.[/b]

Here's what I did. Very easy.

Installing a water temp gauge

1 - 11 of 11 Posts