Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been reading online from many different sites and youtube and i was looking for a clear answer.
i have a 2002 zrt 600 triple. i want to add a 12v female cig input to charge phone in emergency's and possibly get a heated helmet face shield.
so digging under the hood last night near the techometer was a cube shape that looks like sae connector. it has yellow and brown wires going to it and it has 1 side plugged in but on the other side of the cube it has a male and female connection.
it was dark so i couldn't see it very well.
is that dc power or ac? if i plug a sae connector into that and cut and splice connectors onto the other end of the sae connector wire will that power a cig lighter socket?
and sadly no i have not had time to fire it up and plug the fluke up to it to check.
I'm new to snowmobiling in general and everyday i am learning something new and loving it even more.
so any help would be great, if this is confusing i am very sorry i will try to get some pictures up if need be when i get home from work.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Unless the sled has electric start there is only ac power. If it has electric start (and a battery) you can run a fused line directly from the battery. If not, you will need to buy (or build) a regulator circuit for 12v dc.

Think Snow!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah no electric start or battery.
I just thought there was already a voltage rectifier that converted ac to dc to run the lights.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
177 Posts
Lights are AC, sorry. Many use the AC voltage for heated helmet, but for GPS or cell phone charging, you'll definitely need to add a dc circuit. Parts to build one are relatively cheap.

Think Snow!

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
you need to have a bridge rectifer to go from ac to dc voltage.
you could just add a small battery to run the gps and take the bettery inside each night and recharge it while you sleep

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So can anyone send me in the direction to make a bridge rectifier or AC to DC converter?
I'd like to use a SAE connector and hook to the cube behind the techometer however if anyone has a very easy way please let me know.
I put the fluke on it today and you are right, i was getting 9 to 12 volts AC and nothing for DC.
and also the heated face shield on helmets can work with AC power coming off that cube?
i would like to invest in one of those helmets.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Really should have a 12v regulator in the circuit as well as the bridge rectifier. Keeps the power level and clean. I've built a few for my own sleds (for GPS). I'll see if I can dig the specs and diagram up.

Think Snow!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Problem with running a regulator is that you need higher voltage than what you want regulated, usually 14-15 volts unless you have an LDO regulator. As far as I know, these sleds output right around 12V AC, which means you could only regulate to about 10V DC.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I can't find where I put my copy of the schematic I used right now, but this thread has basically the same circuit described along with a parts list.
I know mine puts out a very stable 12v (regardless of rpm). 14-15v can be harmful to some devices, especially GPS.

Think Snow!

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
not my thread but you can build your own
Using a bridge rectifier alone will not work. Even though the AC voltage is regulated to 12 volts, once it goes through the bridge rectifier it will no longer be regulated and will climb to about 35 volts DC at higher RPM's. Below is information to build a rectifier with regulated voltage.

a rectifier (4 diodes) with a large capacitor and a voltage regulator (7812) circuit to power the GPS>

Part Part Number Part Description (from Radio Shack) Price
IC1 276-1161A Silicon Bridge Rectifier 200V 1A $0.99
IC2 276-1771A 7812 12VDC Voltage Regulator $1.49
C1,C2 272-1044 100 uF 50W Capacitor $1.19
C3 272-135 0.1 uF 50W Capacitor $0.69
C4,C5 272-1070 0.22 uF 50W Capacitor $0.89 (pkg of 2)
D1 276-564 15V Zener Diode $0.99
270-283A Project Enclosure w/ PC Board $1.49
270-026 DC Accessory Cable $1.49
270-1211 Fuse Holder $1.49
270-1003 1/2 Amp Fuse $1.29 (pkg of 4)
Total Cost: $12

You can use a 12V zenor diode instead of 15V.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thank you guys for all your help.
i was told there is another plug near the steering stem, if thats ac power will it work on a heated face shield? or do i need to convert that to dc?

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
the plug by the steering stem is ac and works for the heated shield.
yellow brown wires
you can but 2 wire trailer connector cut and splice your shield cord to it and shrink wrap it or buy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts