Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 zr120

1.Is there an actual increase with using a velocity stack instead of the factory air box?
2.What about the adjustable jet? Mine seems to be jetted fine as is.
3.Should I just buy the 10 dollar spring without the other parts.

I dont want to spend a lot of money on the 120cc when I can pick up a gx200 for $200.

I also realize removing the governor gear is the best option but I want to utilize the governor when my younger son rides the sled. If the gear lets go oh well. Ill get a 200cc motor.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
How did the new parts help? I'm getting new clutch for our '01 and wondered what you thought of your upgrades.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
How did the new parts help? I'm getting new clutch for our '01 and wondered what you thought of your upgrades.
Parts worked good. Running about 18 mph with a 45 Pound rider. Total investment about $150. Way cheaper than going with a rec motors kit.

1. Rollerblade wheels for the skid. $20 (reduced friction added speed)
2. #35 chain with 3.5 ratio sprockets + quick change hub.
3. Governor spring
4. Gutted air box and added 1/2" gap on the lid for more flow.

Didn't feel I needed anything else that was offered in the rec motors kit. Jetting seems spot on without the adjustable jet. Have my chain tensioner tightened up way tighter using 2 zip ties on the stock spring.

Could definitely get more top end if I wanted out of it, but think a 3.5 gear ratio seems like a good balance between bottom end and top speed for all around use. Still pulls me fairly good also at 180lbs.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Your 35 chain upgrade, did you use the stock idler sprocket with that? I'm making my own tensioner arm was hoping to use the old sprocket. I'm looking at the midwest mini's upgrade with the same gear change as yours and a new governor spring, but I plan to use the stock carb as it works fine as it is, just needing a more reliable chain drive system, thought this would help boost the speed a bit too. Thanks for replying.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your 35 chain upgrade, did you use the stock idler sprocket with that? I'm making my own tensioner arm was hoping to use the old sprocket. I'm looking at the midwest mini's upgrade with the same gear change as yours and a new governor spring, but I plan to use the stock carb as it works fine as it is, just needing a more reliable chain drive system, thought this would help boost the speed a bit too. Thanks for replying.
For #35 chain drive system, I changed the clutch sprocket to #35 and driven sprocket to #35. The stock chain tensioner on my sled is just a round wheel with no teeth. If yours is a sprocket you will need to change to the correct size for the chain you use.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Yeah that makes more sense, they come in different tooth pitches too, I may turn one up on the lathe that has no teeth. The tensioner on mine seems like an aftermarket, it's got some fancy name machined into it. I have an idea for a better concept, just have to machine that up too, thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts