Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 120 Arctic Cat, all stock with the govener disabled (I'm going to remove the govener unit completley befor the snow comes)
What gear size can I put in to give some more top end on the trail, but still go through deep snow. I'm going to put an adjustible clutch on to raise the engagement rpm to hopefully compensate for the taller gear.
My son is approx 50lbs. i'd like a gear that will give it max speed on the trail, and if I have to swap it with the stock size to go through the deep snow in the yard Im ok with it I guess.

Thanks i advance.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick input.

I spoke to Tim at recreational motorsports and as per his recommendation ordered:

-quick change hub
-38 tooth sprocket
-chain tensioner
-adjustable jet
-velocity stack

Hopefully this make a noticible difference. Ultimatley I'd like to get the machine running around 15mph or better.
Does anyone have any input on whether changing the exhaust improves performance on the stock engine?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
All great stuff for the z120's. Add the pipe after a while so you can see the difference. We added the pipe last and he loved it! And so did I , that way I could hear him at night on the lake easier.

·
Registered
75 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SayByeBye!! @ Nov 13 2009, 08:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I just bought the exhaust too....... go big or go home. Cat happy[/b]
heres an idea get the kid a 370 or 440 i never had anything when i was that small but my buddy did and he had a 440 and it made him the talented rider he is now... hes got a head on him now so you can teach him how to go big without killing himself early

·
Registered
3 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (silver fox @ Nov 13 2009, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SayByeBye!! @ Nov 13 2009, 08:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just bought the exhaust too....... go big or go home. Cat happy[/b]
heres an idea get the kid a 370 or 440 i never had anything when i was that small but my buddy did and he had a 440 and it made him the talented rider he is now... hes got a head on him now so you can teach him how to go big without killing himself early
[/b][/quote]

Uhhhhhhhh....this is a 120 forum isn't it?? :bang:

·
Registered
63 Posts
I put on a 36 rear for when the boys were done racing for the season, the machines hauled on the trails and did fine in deeper snow, they even won a snocross race in the improved class with that combination. Of course I ran a different clutch with a higher engagement spring. Cut down the air filter or remove it all together, it makes a difference. If you are looking for a better clutch or anything for that machine call Jonn Olson or check out his website. www.obups.com Good luck and have fun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts