Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1000XT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My recently purchased 2017 1000xt (with 400 miles on it) won't start. The battery is fully charged and when I turn the key on, the dash comes on and the fan goes. It makes a loud click which is coming from the box/switch that is where the hot lead comes in from the battery. It's never done this and I drove it yesterday with no problems.
Last week I changed out the winch solenoid/connector as the winch would only pay out cable and not retract it. Could this have something to do with the ignition problem?
puzzled....

·
Administrator
40,392 Posts
Did you hook it up with the correct polarity ?

·
Registered
1000XT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you mean the contactor solenoid for the winch, I assume so as it goes in with "in"button and out with the "out" button. The machine has run fine for the last week since I put the new winch contactor in.
I am going to try attach a short video so that maybe you can recognize the sound....?

·
Registered
1000XT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the video was too long (30 sec) to attach.... but I appreciate any input.
It seems like there is a switch or breaker that is not letting current go through to the starter. All fuses are good.

·
Administrator
40,392 Posts
I know it’s dumb, but is your kill switch in the run position ?

·
Registered
1000XT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nothing is too dumb for me... The Kill switch is in the run position. However, with the key on I moved it to the off position and the loud click stops, but the fan/electric motor noise continues. So, the click noise is only when the Kill switch is on..

·
Administrator
40,392 Posts
Take the kill switch apart and check the connections. There is a diode in there that can go bad.

·
Administrator
40,392 Posts
Read this

·
Registered
1000XT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kill switch connections appear well soldered and solid. The diode has continuity whether the kill switch in on or off, although I suppose it would. Don't know how check it further to find out if it's good or not.

·
Administrator
40,392 Posts
Kill switch connections appear well soldered and solid. The diode has continuity whether the kill switch in on or off, although I suppose it would. Don't know how check it further to find out if it's good or not.
Diode should only have voltage in one direction. I think you found the problem.
Download a free service manual at countrycat.com perhaps the test procedure is in there.

·
Registered
1000XT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well, I guess I better get my soldering chops together then..
thanks very much for all your guidance.
I'll probably be back, soon!

·
Administrator
40,392 Posts
Read that link I posted above.

·
Registered
1000XT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
here I am back from vacation... I've taken the control assembly apart and found the diode at the Run switch. Country Cat says I have to replace the whole assembly (for $123). Being as I have it apart already, just wondering if it's possible to pull that diode and replace it, without buying the whole works?

·
Administrator
40,392 Posts
Yes , read the link I posted above.

·
Administrator
40,392 Posts

·
Registered
1000XT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Now I am stumped, again. The same non starting problem is still with me.. just a solenoid "click" when I hit the start button.
I have taken the Run switch diode out as suggested. Tried to replace it, but the tech at the appliance store told me that after testing "there is nothing wrong with it". I put it back in and tried starting the machine and it started right up... once. Then the clicking returned. I then ordered and received a new starter solenoid, hooked it up(before installing it) and the machine started right up, again. I took out the old solenoid and put in the new one, and low and behold all I get is a click when pushing the start button.
I've thought a couple of times that I'd reached the end of my capabilities working on this machine, but I'm ready to try anything at this point, before I have to load it on a trailer and take it an hour away to get looked at...
Anything else I can try ?

·
Administrator
40,392 Posts
Start checking for a loose or corroded ground wire. Make sure all your battery connections are good. Use a wire brush in every connection.

·
Registered
1000XT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok, thanks
due to it only have 400 miles on it I just assumed that all that was good, but what else could it be?
on it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts