Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who here has a 09 TZ1 Turbo touring? I pulled the rear suspension out of mine to change slides and add scratchers. I reinstalled and test the compression. It’s super hard to push down, and rebounds with a quick snap. I’m not sure what is wrong. I don’t see a problem. I have the link pivot up above to go forward, but can hardly compress this thing to get the rear arm to bottom on the coupler blocks to actuate the pivot. Why is this thing so stiff? It’s a new sled to me, so never tried pushing down on the rear suspension. My ‘10 ext with what looks to be the same skid, actuates like normal.... I’m at a loss.

I did have my wife come out and sit on the back, which did not make the suspension sag. I then pushed down on the suspension, and it compresses like I would expect. I then had her get off, and I sat on the rider spot. The suspension would not sag, but she could push the rear down. I don’t know how this machine could be comfortable with a single rider. The suspension is sprung way too hard imo.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
What are the suspension blocks set at? Do you have the overload springs engaged? And unless you removed skid to check, you don't usually need to remove skid to change sliders. They slide in track openings from the back with track loosened up

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
blocks are set at 1's. No, helpers are not engaged. I pull skids every season for pre season maintenance.

I did have the opportunity to push down on the rear of a '12 TZ1 non turbo over the weekend. It was pretty stiff as well, but not as stiff as mine. I do have the sled stripped down of seats and gas tank though. I suppose there will be an extra 30 lbs or so once I get that stuff back on. Either way, I feel this sled is sprung way too stiff for single rider purposes. The rear arm and rear idler arm are the same as my '10 EXT. Per the parts fiche, the springs are 22lb rating in the TZ1T, and 18lbs in the '10 EXT Z1 T. I'm considering buying the 18lb springs and putting them in the touring sled. What's the point of have the helper springs if you don't need them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts