Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

09 550H1 has coolant in oil any ideas?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  mvvette97 
#1 ·
I talked my neighbor into buying an 09 550H1 last summer. It has very low hrs and miles on it. Today he called me and said when he changed the oil there was coolant in the oil. He added about a pint of coolant to the radiator. He said it has not overheated. Is there something on the 550s that is common that would cause this? My 500 has caused no trouble at all but I know nothing about the 550. but at first thought I told him maybe head gasket or water pump seal but then again I don't know how the water pump system works on those. Any ideas would be great.

#2 ·
Either bad water pump shaft seal or leaking head gasket. The only two ways I can think of that would allow coolant into oil

#3 ·
cracked cylinder head?

#4 ·
Either start ripping it apart if you guys are machanical, or send it in ASAP. If it is an 09 they came with 4 year extended warantys that could be transfered to the second owner. I would look into that too.

#5 ·
That's good to know. I will tell him about the warranty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.