Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Check it out before buying. I had a 98 Cougar Deluxe I bought and payed for the fall of 09. When I went to pick it up I was sick. It had been a wet year and I guess there was lots of humidity in the crate. Lots of corrosion on the nuts and bolts in various places.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Look at it first, if it matches the above description, walk away.

2nd, ask about warranty. They should be willing to put a new sled warranty on it. New vehicle dealers can do it on new, non-current inventory. Don't take no for an answer. Who pays for it is not your concern but don't let them put an aftermarket used waranty on it from some (mystery) insurance company. Make sure it's a Cat warranty. Don't pay a nickle for it.

3rd. Pull his pants down and shake out his wallet on everything from accessories (mumble things like 'at cost' and 'free' or 'how about studding it for me at cost') to pdi and freight (both should be free, if it's old inventory), this thing is eating a hole in his overhead and if it's an '08 (and he is a small dealer) it won't even be paid for yet, he's still carrying it (financially) with Arctic Cat.

4th. Repeat step 1. Don't let a good price let you buy a sled that lost 5 years of its life in a box. Cat dealers store most of their inventory outside. You see them from the highway whenever you drive by, stacked up like firewood, surrounded by used stuff, boats, atv's, forklifts and other assorted ****.

I bought an '09 1000r, new, non-current, paid cash, got a good deal (not great) but I had an 'in'side guy check it out for me (he actually hunted the sled down for me through the dealer network, made me walk away from a couple of 'better' deals).

5th. Ride it like you stole it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts