Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I feel privlaged to be one of the few that has rode this beast, My good friend and riding buddie works for a well known Ski-Doo dealer here in wisconsin, they got a 08 REV2 800powertech tuesday and I was able to take it for a ripp. All I can say is WOW, a powerhouse to say the least, I could pick up the rear of the sled with one hand all the way to my chest (6'6) and the front wasn't much heavier. It was not a "production" model but a prototype so there may be some bit of changes but the only complaint is that it wasn't as smooth as my F7 for sure, but it did carry the ski's the whole time I was on the flipper. I did not ri[pp it to much maybe 4-5 second bursts cuz a dealer in Colorodo wreked on and Doo charged them $45,000 for the sled since it was a proto. But my buddie said at 60 or so it feels like a turbo kicking in. Rider possition is pretty daamn good, I feel very comfortable and tons of leg room. I hate to sound like a Ski-Doo slaesman but I just thought I would shed some light on the new rev.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
An honest opinion from someone who has ridden it is great. Like you said though, it's a prototype and things may change yet.

$45,000!!!! Yikes! Have to pay for the new CAD system somehow I guess.

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
Good report! I'll have to get my buddy to read this since he just totaled his '05 REV 800 and has been on the fence getting an '07 or waiting for the new '08 REV2.

I'm as die-hard as it gets when it comes to Cat ... but I think Cat has some serious work ahead of them for '08 and beyond. Doo has yet again set the standard (at least from the prototype numbers ... we'll see how production models compare).

·
Registered
11 Posts
I also took the new Doo out for a quick spin and can say everything mentioned above is spot on. Skis come off the ground up to at least 70 mph (I had to let off because I was only wearing my open MX helmet). Although wheelies are neat for a bit, they make for very slow corner exiting speeds. The rear was set fully coupled but way too soft and probably just needs some adjustments. I also flexed my muscles for the ladies and picked up the front and rear and it is way lighter than my 05' F7 SP with 1" track and can (800R had a 1.25" track). The demo unit had the premium gauges and they are almost reason enough alone to get one. I can't say enough for how Ski-Doo has advanced the technology for our sport.

I know everyone trying to justify their purchase of the new F-Chassis says they ride so great. Well, that's what you get when you build a big heavy machine (the unsprung weight becomes small in relation to the sprung weight). Think of a big fat old Cadillac, even with a solid rear axle, they seem to float over anything.

Personally, I'm a sports car guy. I don't mind taking a little punishment to ride a light, fast, sexy sled. I actually feel a bit cheated the next morning if I'm not a bit soar in places, like maybe I wasn't pushing hard enough.

A person's blood will have to be pretty green to to not be thouroghly impressed by Ski-Doo's new Rev-Xp. Too bad for Ski-Doo that I'm not parting with my Firecat anytime soon.

·
Registered
154 Posts
a great sled, the new Rev...almost enough to convert a man, but i think AC has a lightweight sled of their own coming this year or in 09. Something in the mold of a new twin spar variant :beer_cheers: sno pro 600 thats coming for 08, race sled light and a new 600 twin.... but maybe I'm way off, we'll see.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I forgot to mention, after I took it out, a couple guys took it and ran it against an '07 F8 SP and the Doo was ahead 7 sled lenghts before they let off. The guys also said they'd each have a new Rev-XP for next season and I don't give a sh*t either way, but I believe them.

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
I'd be more interested to see how it ran against an F7 ... considering most people are saying the F8 is slower on top than an F7. But either way, that many sled lenghts is VERY impressive. Just shows you what 100 pounds less weight and 8-10 more HP will do!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mortythebison @ Feb 28 2007, 11:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I forgot to mention, after I took it out, a couple guys took it and ran it against an '07 F8 SP and the Doo was ahead 7 sled lenghts before they let off. The guys also said they'd each have a new Rev-XP for next season and I don't give a sh*t either way, but I believe them.[/b]
The one guy at the dealer raced a Mach at the Dealer show and said it was dead even, kinda makes you wonder if there is something in store for the mach, can't see them making a mach that gets beat by the 800.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
ew, i hope you washed your hands really good. lol. i think your dealer ripped your friend off 45 grand???!! no way man.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (F6 monster @ Feb 28 2007, 12:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
ew, i hope you washed your hands really good. lol. i think your dealer ripped your friend off 45 grand???!! no way man.[/b]
It was a dealer in COLORADO not the one in Wisconsin, It may be a scare tactic to keep people from trashing the demo sled, but it may be true, considering a prototype is probly hand built and tons of r&d time it may be worth 45,000 to Ski-Doo. :stop_nono:

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
yeah, probably just a scare tactic from keepin people from wreckin it like you said. if a prototype is really that much....what would one off the line cost lol. 45 grand is def :bs:

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (F6 monster @ Feb 28 2007, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
yeah, probably just a scare tactic from keepin people from wreckin it like you said. if a prototype is really that much....what would one off the line cost lol. 45 grand is def :bs:[/b]
I don't think you understand the significance of a prototype sled, and the value they hold. As mentioned above, they are likely hand built, over thousands of labor hours. And there probably aren't many of them around, either. To replace it means all that labor over again, as well as the loss of that machine for testing and model development. Lots of $$$! Once the parts are mass produced, it wouldn't be as difficult (and therefore much less costly) to replace it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok boys,

I've got another race result for you all. I've got a couple budies that took the 800R out against their '05 Mach (stockish). The Rev-XP pulled a decent holeshot on the Mach (1.25" Ice Ripper) and it wasn't untill +90 mph when the Mach started to slowly fight back.

They also felt the exagerated weight transver kills the sled, but by the way they are talking, one of them will have one for us to try to tame for next year.

To put a smile on the face of all us Cat guys, on their ride home after the test drive, the engine in their m '06 Rev 800 popped.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
For comparison my BONE STOCK 01 ZR800 would carry the skis to speeds in excess of 100 mph. Wheelies are just an indication of setup. The fastest sleds in the world run with the skis on the ice.

That said I have no doubt that this new rev is a bullet.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I too got out for a spin on the new rev yesterday. Fairly nice machine, had a few drags against my F7 and my roomies 03.5 Rev 800. Carries skis like you wouldn't believe for a stock sled(something i like in a sled for our riding). I imagine that will change for next year, trail riders aren't big fans of that. Sure is a long chain to reach from shaft to shaft, hope its 15w, or i could see problems occuring. Sprung fairly stiff, but still transfers to back end and carries front. Had it riding on the axle two or three times in about 16-24 inches of snow. I think you would definitely see gains with a deeper lug track, like say 1.5, non ripsaw. But anyways heres specs and drag results.

2004 F7, custom clutching, 1.375 track, custom suspension springs and valving, speedwerx pipe. d and d y pipe, sno stuff silencer, extrovert drivers.

2003.5 Rev Blair morgan, 1.7 drilled track, custom clutching, ported, custom susp. valving/springs, reeds, dynoport can, extroverts, fairly light sled, was lighter than mine at the time on grass drag scales.

Results
Hardpack:
Vs f7, jumped 3/4 to 1 length on line and didn't gain anymore in 400ft
03 rev was similar as well

16-20" of soft but setup snow
Started walking away from F7, pretty much right off the line, and continually crept on me
Vs 03 Rev, lost 2-3 lengths in first 500ft or so and was going by him at about 7=800ft

Keep in mind this was just us starting with a head nod, so not perfect but close. We were riding both sleds too, dealer was actually pretty cool with it. gives it a good test.

Seems to have long legs on top end, geared quite high i think, but lots of power down low. Speed recall said we got it to 172 km/h, but i think its about 10% on the positive side. Nice sled, but i imagine big bucks. Side panels seem very light and don;t appear like they'll take a lot of abuse.

·
Registered
464 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wicked King @ Feb 28 2007, 04:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (F6 monster @ Feb 28 2007, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yeah, probably just a scare tactic from keepin people from wreckin it like you said. if a prototype is really that much....what would one off the line cost lol. 45 grand is def :bs:[/b]
I don't think you understand the significance of a prototype sled, and the value they hold. As mentioned above, they are likely hand built, over thousands of labor hours. And there probably aren't many of them around, either. To replace it means all that labor over again, as well as the loss of that machine for testing and model development. Lots of $$$! Once the parts are mass produced, it wouldn't be as difficult (and therefore much less costly) to replace it.
[/b][/quote]

I agree, its not how much its "worth" but how much it would cost to replace.

Hand built with prototype tooled components. The piece price comes down 10 fold when you go to production tooling.

Prototype vehicles I work with (HD Dodge Rams) can cost upwards of $300,000 to build easily.

I hope AC puts there sleds on a diet and sorts out the new engines for 08.

Sounds like the HP war is on (just like in the auto industry with all 3 oem's offereing over 500hp cars).

Good to be here for it. Wish I had more expendable cash.

·
Registered
103 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mortythebison @ Feb 28 2007, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I forgot to mention, after I took it out, a couple guys took it and ran it against an '07 F8 SP and the Doo was ahead 7 sled lenghts before they let off. The guys also said they'd each have a new Rev-XP for next season and I don't give a sh*t either way, but I believe them.[/b]
To compair a $12,000 sled to a $8,500 sled isn't fair.
one of my biggest pet pevs with cat is, I think the Sno Pro should also have a little more pep to them than the standards. If Cat uses just the same seat the new and the 07 Rev X's have that would shave almost 25lb. you lose your storage but My buddy 07 800x doesn't have storage, so you buy a $100 bag and put 3 pounds of **** in it your still ahead.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts