Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys to start off this is my inlaws sled that barely ever gets ridden but a few times a year buy a couple people. 2008 with 2200 miles all stock only arctic cat oil I think a couple years ago I ran a gallon ofamsoils dominator in it. Nice clean sled ran great. I went and got it to rude with my buddies after my wife's uncle has been barrowing it for 2 years to ride with his son. They put maybe 50 miles on it total. He has had sleds his whole life so I can assume he knows how to half ass take care of a sled and not do stupid things that would cause it to blow up. Anyways I went and got it fired it up and sounded beautiful just like normal. Let he warm up while I was getting geared up and being with him. They were out riding it an hr before I got there in the field. Said he kept it under 30 mph since his kid was following him. Anyways I took off down the road and was riding like normal hitting the field drifts and the side of the road. Made it 5 miles and stopped to check my phone and took off again causing at maybe 50ish and heard a pop and lost a bunch of power. Limped it back maybe 8 miles ,stayed on the road instead if cutting thru fields and such making it farther. Got it torn apart and I find the piston on the mag side has broke the skirt off the intake side of the motor. With my limited knowledge on what the piston looks like when it blows can tell alot but I'm not sure of all the signs and what they mean. I believe that by breaking off the intake side skirt would mean that it got leaned out some how. Bad seal prolly my guess. Also has some wear marks maybe 1/8 inch wide if you were to fallow the edge of the skirts up to the top of the piston. Thought that was kinda odd. Dosnt seem like scoring really just odd rubbing.
maybe I'm completely wrong on my lean theory?
Any input of where to look?
Comon parts that go bad and cause it to lean out?
Anything else to replace while I have the top
apart? Don't wanna take it much farther unless I have to.
Any updated parts from arctic cat that should be thrown in?
Thanks For any input.
Resized_20210221_183556.jpeg

·
Registered
34 Posts
no...sorry. other than i doubt it's air/fuel related unless the dome of the piston looks melted. Maybe loss of oil or cold seize? too much friction between piston and cylinder wall?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doesn't look melted. Didn't sieze. I was wondering about oil but havnt got to that yet. It's just hard to believe that with 2200 miles the oil system had a failure. Unless something got in there and blocked the flow, which I guess could be a possibility.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Did some quick research...some say sucking snow in the intake can cause this. Others said excessive clearance between piston/cylinder...with your miles i doubt this but you did mention banging through some deeper snow...maybe some sucked in and it caused some quick metal contraction?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had the sucking snow in theory also but it wasn't deep enough to suck in thru the hood air intakes on the side. Unless there is another one I'm not aware of. Snow was never over the foot boards. So I wouldn't say I was in deep snow. Maybe 8-12 inches. Also can you or anyone else confirm that the only thing that filters the air are the screens on the side of the hood by the windshield? Not used to not having an air filter. I can't find anything anywhere. Havnt removed the air silencer box or whatever arctic cat calls it to see if there's one between that and the engine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts