Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well I've had my new Xfire for a couple weeks now, and last week we recieved a good 10 inches in the dakotas, so I was able to get a couple hundred miles on. Well first off I need to say that I havent pinned it yet, normally for the first 300 miles, I've kept it around 6500 RPM, I'm not saying I havent pushed it further, but I figured I'd break it in right, well This Sled has crazy power...from roughly 25mph to 85mph it pulls on the arms considerbly, an that run was in roughly 8 to 10 inches of fresh snow, hardpack wise I havent had a chance to see what she could do. Suspension wise, for the past 3 seasons I rode a Rev Renegade, well the first 10 miles on the Xfire the Rev couldnt hold a candle, and after I set the suspension up to the way I like it, needless to say it just got better, this thing literally floats over approaches, lands like an airplane on the other side. very impressed!

The only Problem I have with this machine is the oil consumption, but my dealer assured me that after the 300 mile break in chip burns out, the oil consumption will go down, so we will have to see. with the warm weather now, I havent had a chance to put any more miles on. Bottom line, I love this sled, it's got gobs of thrust, and a plush ride...and coming from the bland guages of the doo's, The guages on the cats are fantastic. one question though, is it possible to get the fuel gauge to work on the digital readout?

here's some pics of her..

[attachment=59856:IMG_1346.jpg]

[attachment=59857:IMG_1347.jpg]

Attachments

·
Banned
488 Posts
Excellent to hear you're enjoying your new machine!
welcome call btw.
I have one question tho....Is this "break-in chip" a myth or reality? And how exactly does it "burn-out?"

Mael

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (holyman800 @ Jan 7 2007, 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The only Problem I have with this machine is the oil consumption, but my dealer assured me that after the 300 mile break in chip burns out, the oil consumption will go down, so we will have to see. with the warm weather now, I havent had a chance to put any more miles on. [/b]
First off .. glad to hear you got some seat time on the new sled & love it. It's great to see people actually getting out & riding, and enjoying their new iron. The reason I'm quoting this single statement is because I question what your dealer told you?. As far as I know, and have heard from others, Cat does not have a "break in chip". SkiDoo does, but not Cat. You should get an accurate fuel:eek:il ratio after the first tank or two of gas. If it continues to burn oil at a high level, you will want to adjust your oil pump accordingly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, This is what mine needs also is an electonic gas gauge.
Mine broke after my first ride. The stock guage looks so cheap
and in-accurate.
Not too thrilled about getting it fixed because I will still have to
open the gas cap and peek in to see how full it actually is anyway.
Worse feature on an otherwise perfect snowmobile.....
LJ.

·
Registered
428 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (holyman800 @ Jan 7 2007, 02:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The only Problem I have with this machine is the oil consumption, but my dealer assured me that after the 300 mile break in chip burns out, the oil consumption will go down, so we will have to see. with the warm weather now, I havent had a chance to put any more miles on. Bottom line, I love this sled, it's got gobs of thrust, and a plush ride...and coming from the bland guages of the doo's, The guages on the cats are fantastic. one question though, is it possible to get the fuel gauge to work on the digital readout?

here's some pics of her..

[attachment=59856:IMG_1346.jpg]

[attachment=59857:IMG_1347.jpg][/b]
Your dealer is full of crap. Your oil consumption would not go down, even if their was a "break-in chip" (which there is not), since the ECM does not control oil flow. If you take it in and comlain (try a different dealer), they will do an oil consumption test, and turn it down if necessary. However, cat's spec is pretty heavy on the oil (for obvious warranty reasons, and to sell oil), so you are better off doing it on your own. Just go one turn at a time, then ride it and check your ratio, until your consumption is where it should be (but if it's really bad, start with two turns).

And don't be afraid to hold it WFO for brief periods. You need high cylinder pressure to wear in those rings properly, and you don't get that by babying it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cool thanks for the advice, as far as my dealer goes, he just came over from the ski-doo dealership, so I would guess he's assuming that all sleds have that chip...but whatever..I'll wait till I hit 300 miles, than adjust it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yes, you should wait and drive away for some tank fulls. I've understood that ECU delays the ignition for first tanks so you have to push more throttle to achieve same speed than sled wich has enough miles in. So when you push more throttle, you also give more oil into engine. Simple? ;)

·
Registered
261 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Maelstrom @ Jan 7 2007, 12:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Excellent to hear you're enjoying your new machine!
welcome call btw.
I have one question tho....Is this "break-in chip" a myth or reality? And how exactly does it "burn-out?"

Mael[/b]
Exactly, and how does the computer reset the oil pump? The oil pump is a mechanical device that has no wires going to it.

·
Registered
788 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lj500 @ Jan 10 2007, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Digital Fuel guage anyone?

If not, I got a "Krusty the Clown" sticker that will fit over my gas gauge.. LOL.

LJ[/b]
There is no dital gas gauge available. I do know of some people that were attempting to retrofit the gas gauge (bars on speedo) set up that is on the T660, but I don't believe anything was ever finalized.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hey everybody,

well a couple weekends ago we went riding up north, my sled know has 320 miles on it, so here is the rest of my review...

pros: As the sled loosened up, the power of this beast got better and better. around the 250 mile mark we stumbled across a nice, wideopen section of groomed trail, so I opened her up...never pinned it, but it was close, I Literally had to flex my arms all the way till the SPEEDO read 100mph, (forgot to bring the GPS, so I couldnt tell u the exact speed)..buttom line, this sled is packing in the power department, Bottom to mid range torque is amazing...just amazing. (I weigh roughly 240# with gear)

Ride quality is still spot on from the first time I rode it, sucks up the bumps like none other. The sled jumps so nice sometimes it's tough to know that I've landed (well sometimes)

Gas mileage is personally fantastic. We trailed for 93 miles before going to fuel up, and we by no means were putzing around the countryside..I'd say an average of 60-70MPH, faster in wide open areas, roughly 7 miles where we didnt hit much over 30mph, but I dont think that made to much difference. I fueled up, did some calculating, It came out to 13.6 MPH..again very impressed.

Oil consumption..this really surprised me, for the first 150 miles, the machine drank the oil like crazy, but after that...that weekend we put 130 miles on, I used a little less than a half a tank during the whole ride. To put this in perspective, I used the same amount of oil going roughly 70 miles when I first got the sled. so The oil consumption did in fact go down..how or why...no clue, maybe someone could tell me lol.

Cons: First the Fuel Guage, this thing has to rate right up there with the compass looking bubble guage I delt with when I rode the Rev. When we Returned to Fuel up, my guage was reading dead on E, but in fact when I put fuel in, the sled only took 6.5 gallons, in the "actual" size tank of 11 gallons... Even at the "rated" tank size of 10 gallons, needless to say this is still pretty bad. I'm leaning towards a diffective fuel guage, we'll have to see when I replace it.

Like I said the Ride quality is still spot on, BUT, every once in a while the suspension buttoms out going over a small bump, this doesnt happen all the time, just once in a while. I'm going to crank up the tension blocks before the ride on Friday to see if that helps.

Around 5500 RPM. there is a slight hesitation in engine power, barely noticable once the pipe heats up, but It's still there...faintly

And the worst Con of all...Before we took off that morning, I went to strap on the Jerry can, and low and behold The rubber Crossfire mat was gone! so I assume AC is using either not enough, or chincy glue to hold these down...sad sad days. lol

All in all I am very pleased with this sled, and I would recommend anyone looking to buy this machine, to do so...they are nice! One other thing, no signs of a bent tunnel yet. looking into tunnel supports though.

Nate Rockerdude

·
Registered
525 Posts
If you think that 800 has got some power, you should ride a 1000!!! slomo I put on about 400 miles last week (Rugby - Bottineau area) and my hands and forearms hurt from trying to hold on. 1000cc+162picks+136" track+hardpack = humper

I have about 750 miles on mine and would recommend one of these to anybody. Love the ride, the power, the looks, etc. The only complaint I have is with the tunnel. Once that is fixed, the tunnel supports are going on and it should all be good to go.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
sweet, dealer in Devils Lake had a 1000 snowpro with Icepicks Down the middle of her, looked pretty sweet.

so I take it there must be some ridable snow up around the Rugby area, we're thinking about going up that way on Friday

·
Registered
525 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (holyman800 @ Jan 23 2007, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
sweet, dealer in Devils Lake had a 1000 snowpro with Icepicks Down the middle of her, looked pretty sweet.

so I take it there must be some ridable snow up around the Rugby area, we're thinking about going up that way on Friday[/b]
That one was mine. I left it there after my ride last week so that he can put a new tunnel on it.

Rugby area actually wasn't too bad. We rode the highway 3 ditch from Rugby to 281 and that had some good snow in it last week. The Bottineau area really needs to get some more snow though as that was starting to get pretty beat down (good base, just needs more for grooming).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
sweet...yeah had a good lookover of your sled with Elmer, well first I asked him about studs, so he than brought me straight to yours..anyways awesome ride man.

I think we're going up towards The Munich area friday, all around that area there is plenty of ridable snow, should be a good time

1 - 19 of 19 Posts