Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HEY GUYS WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO WITH THESE GLOSS BLACK PANELS!!! MINE LOOKS LIKE **** AFTER 500 MILES!!! I KNEW I SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT THE EARLY BUILD JAG INSTEAD OF THE FINAL ONE. THE EB. MODEL LOOKS MINT, STILL AT MY DEALER. WHAT ABOUT 2000 WETSANDING THESE PIECES??? DON'T WANT TO GET INTO PAINTING IT!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,622 Posts
Yeah, black is a BITCH to keep scratch less, especially with PLASTIC thrown into the mix. My solution is buff and polish the hell out of it and don't touch the black with ANYTHING less than a jewelers cloth! After the polishing and when it comes to washing it again, spray it with water and dry with compressed air! Those are the best way to minimize the scratches. The less you touch it with any cotton products, the less the (spider web look) scratches will appear.

Good luck.

·
Registered
106 Posts
To keep it looking good paint is your only option. I could not believe the difference after I put mine back together. I also painted all the dull textured plastic as well so all but the snow flap is painted now. The one thing we noticed is that its a task to get the paint to stick to this plastic. We used all the killer cleaners and the mold release is still there.....

·
Registered
514 Posts
My good friend owns a tint shop and he offers a "paint protection film" its made by 3M and a few other companys, he does alot of vehicles with this stuf and you can barley see the line on the hood. I might have him do it to my sled. Its heatable and streches pretty good. It is garanteed for life against chips tears and peeling. Maybe there is someone in your area that offers this stuff. Google "paint pertection film"

·
Registered
157 Posts
The material is called X-Pel. You can go right to there website and buy direct. X-Pel. I have used this type of material for the Headlights on my Envoy and it works great. This year we added it to a bunch of our snowplow trucks as we have new Fisher headlights that are crystal clear and wanted to protect them.

I have never used it on paint but it sounds like a good idea as they have it specifically for that application. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
281 Posts
I intend to paint mine, as that is the easiest way to keep it looking good to me. Even a shined plastic doesn't have the depth of color that paint does. That film is great stuff, I have seen it on many cars that come through our shop. I would suggest paying to have it installed unless you are experienced applying a material like that - it is clear and any dirt/dust/fingerprints you get on the adhesive side are pretty much there to stay. The other question is how would they contend with applying that over a decal. One being the edge from decal to plastic, and two being the slightly different rate of expansion and contraction with heat and cold. May cause the film to whiten or bubble at the edge of the decals - but again I would ask someone that has used it for their opinion.

·
Registered
514 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (davzkny1 @ Jan 2 2007, 06:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I intend to paint mine, as that is the easiest way to keep it looking good to me. Even a shined plastic doesn't have the depth of color that paint does. That film is great stuff, I have seen it on many cars that come through our shop. I would suggest paying to have it installed unless you are experienced applying a material like that - it is clear and any dirt/dust/fingerprints you get on the adhesive side are pretty much there to stay. The other question is how would they contend with applying that over a decal. One being the edge from decal to plastic, and two being the slightly different rate of expansion and contraction with heat and cold. May cause the film to whiten or bubble at the edge of the decals - but again I would ask someone that has used it for their opinion.[/b]
YES have a PRO put it on, tnt shops would be the place to go, thier shops are always as dust free as it gets and (at least my buddie) are very good at weorking that stuff into place. TNT Window Tinting is the place I have ALL of my stuf done at they are in Madison WI if anyone is close to that the # is 1-608-222-tint. Talk to Steve, he is the owner and a great friend of mine tell him Kyle sent you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.