Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow! Anyone else these sleds are a little on the cold side? I love the looks of the windshield, but they are not too efficient with routing the air up and over the driver. Felt a little nip on my baby maker too. kept checkin' my zipper. lol. Definatly have to get your head and body down to get top speed numbers up there. I was coming across this lake and just tipped my head down and I picked up 2-3 mph's.

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
I know exactly what you mean!!! They are a cold sled when out in the open. I need to get a riser block installed so I can add some handguards. My buddy on his Dragon has the same problem ... it's a cold ride too.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Labonte, does your bud on the Dragon ride in front of you or behind you on the lakes?? :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Green F6: I am there with you as well. Not much protection. I am at the age were I would rather be warm and enjoying the ride and not freezing. Checked with my dealer about a higher windshield. There is one available, but he couldn't tell me anything about it. I don't want to make my sled look too dorky! If they are designed properly, you can still look good, but not feeze your face off. I guess I will wait and see if someone else buys one first.

Speaking of windshields, has anyone tried those mirrors that fix on the inside of the winshield? What a JOKE! Don't waste your money. You couldn't see a locomotive if it was on your bumper. Great idea Cat!

Redd

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cmscat50 @ Jan 22 2007, 11:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Labonte, does your bud on the Dragon ride in front of you or behind you on the lakes?? :)[/b]
LOL Chris ...

Actually, believe it or not we didn't race. I was unstudded and the only safe place to race was on Namakagon. And by the time we got back to Namakagon each day it was dark & you obviously know the speed limit up there. I can say that he hit 99mph on the lake one day on our way out and I hit 100mph. I also hit 103mph on a nice long stretch of firelane. I'm not sure how they'll match up next week when we go up. My guess is he'll take me out of the hole with his sled being lighter, but I'm hoping (HOPING!!!) I can pull him in at mid range and top. We'll see though. You guys will be the first ones to hear about it on the return trip in another week and a half.

I will say this ... if I have to sacrifice a few MPH on the top end (I could hit 112-115mph on my F7) I'll still take the ride of the new F8 anyday over my '03.

·
Registered
106 Posts
This sled is cold like the old Polaris Indy wedge hood..... Fingers out in the open and wind in the chest!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
I will say this ... if I have to sacrifice a few MPH on the top end (I could hit 112-115mph on my F7) I'll still take the ride of the new F8 anyday over my '03.[/b]
That's why I'm trying to keep my wife off the crossfire. It makes my F7 feel "old." And the F is probably even better.

Look forward to hearing the report.

So basically these stock windshields are like running a fly on a firecat? BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I was wondering if any of you that have said the sled was cold, have handguards? I'm hoping that you don't and the handguards will help some....

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nm3 @ Jan 22 2007, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I was wondering if any of you that have said the sled was cold, have handguards? I'm hoping that you don't and the handguards will help some....[/b]
No handguards on mine - but I agree with you & I think they would help too. My hands were pretty cold on the lake at night and I had to make sure my hand warmers were on. I remember my F7 being cold too, but not quite this cold. I still love it though :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just put some ROX handguards on my F8 and I like what I got so far! Although I am waiting on my handelbar risers, to thelp the clearance issues.

·
Registered
74 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (looneytune @ Jan 22 2007, 01:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
07' F's, Wind protection?, that's the question. I have the answer. There isn't any. :( Holy crap it's cold! :cold:[/b]
Even my LXR with adjustable (read: UGLY) windshield is cold..

I also put the cat outside mirrors on it do direct the air around my hands.

·
Registered
86 Posts
For sure that as to be the coldest sled I ever had but I ended up buying some big ugly hand cover to finish my trip.I have a 3" riser block on it and I ride with the seat all the way up too.Very very cold but god that F can handle the big bumps.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nm3 @ Jan 22 2007, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I was wondering if any of you that have said the sled was cold, have handguards? I'm hoping that you don't and the handguards will help some....[/b]
I'm not even worried about my hands. The wind hits me square in the chest and I'm only 5'4" tall. I have to order a different balaclava that will cover my neck more. It goes right down the front of my coat and makes it hard to read the speedo when it's trying to blow you off the sled when I'm over 100 MPH. :sledder: In fact that icon looks about right for me on my sled. Can we change the sled color to orange? :rofl:

·
Registered
135 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (greenF-6 @ Jan 22 2007, 12:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Wow! Anyone else these sleds are a little on the cold side? I love the looks of the windshield, but they are not too efficient with routing the air up and over the driver. Felt a little nip on my baby maker too. kept checkin' my zipper. lol. Definatly have to get your head and body down to get top speed numbers up there. I was coming across this lake and just tipped my head down and I picked up 2-3 mph's.[/b]

coldest sled I have ever owned....but then again it could be that its going so fast .....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah your right. It hits you square in the chest and of course your head. I bought new gear this year and I thought I made a bad decision going with the Castle stuff over Cats suit, but it sounds like I'm not the only one that feels a little cold on these sleds. My buddy has a new 600 REV X, basically the same feel with the wind ( X has next to nothing for a windshield) but the handgaurds seem to help quite a bit.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LabonteF8 @ Jan 22 2007, 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I know exactly what you mean!!! They are a cold sled when out in the open. I need to get a riser block installed so I can add some handguards. My buddy on his Dragon has the same problem ... it's a cold ride too.[/b]
the chrome windshield is 3/4 in shorter and the handguards will be fine is what i was told, i have the chrome on and is 3/4 in shorter and picking up my hand guards tomorrow and going up state maine thursday i,ll let you guys know if its warmer, i hope so

·
Registered
11 Posts
i got powermadd hand guards with my fly screen on my sled and they work good on the hands. but my body is still cold. I had to lower the seat all the way down cause my legs were so cold. Lowering the seat worked wonders.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Redd @ Jan 22 2007, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Green F6: I am there with you as well. Not much protection. I am at the age were I would rather be warm and enjoying the ride and not freezing. Checked with my dealer about a higher windshield. There is one available, but he couldn't tell me anything about it. I don't want to make my sled look too dorky! If they are designed properly, you can still look good, but not feeze your face off. I guess I will wait and see if someone else buys one first.

Speaking of windshields, has anyone tried those mirrors that fix on the inside of the winshield? What a JOKE! Don't waste your money. You couldn't see a locomotive if it was on your bumper. Great idea Cat!

Redd[/b]
I almost bought those inside mirrors, but they were on back order (good thing) and I ended up with the same mirrors I had on the Sabercat, (zr style) and they work perfect.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts