Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may take a min to explain but here it goes. My 500 auto started running like @' it would idle and even get to about half throttle then it would start cutting out really bad. I was told that one of the kids had gotten old gas from a car and put it in it while I was on vacation. So once I went to work on it the first thing I done was pull the tank and carb off and cleaned them. I put it all back together and still had the same issue. Ok so while I was already working on it I needed to put bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends and new seals in the front diff. So I removed the front plastic also just to have easier access. While I was waiting for the parts to come I was trying to figure out the running issue and I found that with it running if I pulled the diode on the far right end (looking from the back) of the fuse block it would run almost perfect. So now I'm puzzled because I can't find anything that will tell me what the diode is for. Ok now skip ahead a day and I got my parts for the front and installed all of that and put the plastic back on it and went to fire it up and no spark. I have a downloaded copy of the tech manual and have ohmed the trigger coil , stator and ignition coil, plug cap , and plug wire. One thing I noticed was that it would crank no matter what gear it was in without the brake being applied. I don't think it's supposed to do that. So I'm here asking if anyone can give me any ideas about what is going on. Sorry for such a long explanation but I figured that it would help to get it all out on the table. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
39,804 Posts
The diodes can only go in one way. If they are reversed you will get issues like you described.

Pull them out and you will see which way they are supposed to go.
You have a SIG relay( start in gear) you can swap the relays around to determine if on is bad.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've swapped those relays around and nothing changed. I also have made sure the diodes are in the correct way. Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Up date ! I got it running. I still have an issue with the way it runs though. Everything is good until it gets about half throttle then it starts cutting out. I know it's something electrical because if I remove the diode on the far right end of the fuse block (looking at it from the rear) it runs like it's supposed to the throttle opens up and no spitting and sputtering. Here is what I'm thinking could possibly be the issue but I'm just guessing here. I think it's hitting the rev limiter because possibly it thinks it's in reverse all the time. Before this issue I haven't ever had the desire to run it in reverse fast enough to make it hit the limiter and had to push the button so that's why I'm saying I'm guessing here. I cant go off the readout on the dash cause it sometimes will have an E ,F ,H ,L ,R up there and it doesn't really have a pattern it just puts one of those letters up for any given position. Any ideas on what may be going on?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where is the switch located that sends the info on what gear it's supposed to be in

·
Registered
12,402 Posts
Usually on the end of the shifter shaft but not sure if external or internal on yours. Service manuals can be downloaded at country cat . com under technical information. You can also lookup parts for you machine on their website too.

·
Administrator
39,804 Posts

Reactions: 660catman

·
Administrator
39,804 Posts
Reactions: 660catman
1 - 9 of 9 Posts