Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 07 AC 400 4X4 auto, I have seen many threads talking about how it does not have the power like the 500, which by the way my wife HAS because she wanted the bigger one!! We are planning to use these machines for hunting and maybe just pleasure ridding down the trails. I notice that the majority of AC people likes to go mudding. Something we do not plan to do, so my question is then: if I am just going to use it to go hunting, climbing in the woods, up steep hills and what not, will the 400 4X4 auto do me right?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
short answer, YES. the 400 is a very solid and capable bike.

long answer, YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! (lol) it is just, not very powerful. the only time i wanted a bigger bike was when i was carrying a passenger, otherwise it is a great wheeler.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks MRMREZG!! For a while there, I thought I got something I wouldn't be happy with. I know the 500, the boss (wife) wants a winch on hers. Just have to break them in and hoppping we can go out this weekend for the first time and drive them around through some trails. I would also like to make my own trails through the woods to see how she really handles!

·
Registered
43 Posts
my new 400 is great. I go almost anywhere the big 7 and 800's go but use less fuel. My only complain of the 400 is crappy to speed. If I am riding on a road, I cant go over 70 k's an hour (45mph). But when I guy thinks about it, maybe it will save me some broken bones in the long run.
I am more than happy with the 400.

PS I would recomend doing a proper breakin.

1. Avoid giving it more than 1/2 to 2/3 throttle for the first 100-150 miles
2. do a mottor oil and diff fluid change at about 200 miles.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just bought the same wheeler back in January and I love it. I use it for everything including hauling out firewood and it has enough power for me. Ibuilt a trailer for it (5ft. long x4ft. wide) and it hauls it out of the woods fine full of wood. It worked great last month for picking up snowmobile signs on our clubs trails(saved me from walking and doing it like I used to !! guess im getting lazy lol!!) Bottom line: I love the 4 wheeler and Ithink you will to!! Good luck on your new toy!! :bleedgreen :ridepride: :site: :atv: :thumbsup: :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone!! You guys have put my mind to ease, just a little worried about the breaking in process. So many different ways, ride it like you stole it, no more then 1/2 throttle for first 100 miles, vary the speed but don't put it under load, etc. Well, since this is my very first ATV, I think it and myself both need to be broken in right, so it will be taken it easy for awhile, getting use to it. The only question I have is why does SHE have to have the bigger one?????

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Your 400 will do fine and go through anything, the only difference is not as fast. My sons 400 has pulled my V2 out of plenty of spots or has gone through things just as well as my machine. You may find after a while that she will complain about the size and ask to switch to the 400 as after a day of handling the big one she'll be worn out slaphappy
Seriously the 400 is a great machine just not a top end demon. It's also nice that it handles a bit easier than it's bigger cousins. As far as breaking it in, just vary your speeds and change your oil and filter at 100 miles and it
will be fine. A few brief WOT's won't hurt it either.

Enjoy the pride :thumbsup:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Rugby3!! I think we might have to take her 500M into the shop already. The little bit she has ridden it, in the back yard, I notice she really has to stomp on the shifting lever to get it go down in gears.

·
Registered
434 Posts
have had my 400 auto for almost 2 months now and it is fantastic. I weigh in at 200 and usually carry a passenger around 110 with a loaded cooler and dont have any problems with even extreme terrain. I have pulled out much bigger bikes and never was left wishing I had more power. It does not eccelerate as fast as the big bikes and does not have the top end but other than that it is perfect. Since I never drag or hit more than 25 mph it was the perfect choice for me.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I have a 400 also and it has been a great machine. You will never win a drag race, but I go the same places my buddy does on his 800 polaris with ALOT less fuel.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I got my 400 back in July and I use it almost everyday to get around my 1400 acres. I have built 10 plus miles of trails through the woods with it and have hauled many trailer loads of fire wood over logging trails. I have not had a single problem and it has done everything I have asked of it. The only thing I want are better tires for climbing muddy hills.

Here I am after finishing off a tough mile and a half trail along the river that runs through my property.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a 06 LE 400, my brother has a 06 V2 and another friend has V2. And I can go anywhere they
go maybe not quite as fast, but I didn't buy it to go fast, I bought for the low end torque. I love it. :wub:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys for all of the good words!!!! I am anxious to take her out and have fun, now if I can just bag an Elk, I have something to pull it out of the woods with. :D

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
:thumbsup: You Will Love the Lil 400 for what your going to use it for!!! You Probably won't notice or miss the so called "lack of power" ... I've hauled very heavy loads of rock and brick with mine and it never missed a beat or slipped a belt !! It will be able to go damn near over or thru anything the bigger atv's can go.. granted it does have it's limitations but your probably not going to push your machine that hard... Get a decent winch like a Gorilla and a 10-20 ft nylon strap and if ya do get into somthing really ruff you can pull yourself out... besides if you need a little more low end grunt you can do a few smaller mods to it ... Again I can't Say enough GOOD about My 400 !!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts