Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Administrator
7,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This quad does all the plowing around here for the last 4 years.
It's becoming more apparent that it will rev slighty and then engage. This is after it's warmed up and after repeated backing/forward, basic snow plowing.
Clutches dirty? new belt time?
Will it hurt aything to keep running it till the snow stops?
I would like to get it fixed soon, but more snow is expected this week, around 6 inches or so or wet heavy snow.
Seems like on a regular ride, it doesnt do it.
Anybody else see this as normal?
Maybe it's new belt time???? OEM for sure.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Its hard to say for sure but possibly a belt but im leaning more towards the clutch shoes. even though this isnt the same sircumstance as you,its kinda the same results. I put seafoam in my oil once b/c i swamped it and wanted to clean the crankcase out. It caused my clutch to slip then kick in kinda hard or rev up like your saying. It got worse quick for me. I ended up sending the whole thing to airdam and he did a stage 1 and 2,gave me new shoes and turned the shoe drum,not really sure what its called ,but it had gotten small hot spots which made it slip more. Its all fixed now and of course I had different reasoning for my clutch slipping,but it acted like your saying.
I ended up changing the clutch shoes myself which only took me about 45 min. It was my 1st time and i did not have the correct tools. a flat head screw driver and needle nose vise grip. I had used the screw driver for leverage to slip the springs back on and used the pliers to hold things in place. It wasnt that hard but im somewhat mechanically inclined. Please let us know the final reasoning. thanks.

·
Administrator
7,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll look into it deeper. It doesnt do it every time, and usually just going forward.
Clutch shoes, hmm. I dont even know where to begin to look for those. Where exactly are these located?

·
Administrator
38,965 Posts
Wet clutch behind the primary. Pondtunes has a write up in the pinned section

·
Registered
364 Posts
youll have to pull the belt and clutch off. Im not good at describing things as i dont know what all the pieces are called, i just know how to dig in and get dirty,lol. especially on my own stuff. I should have been a little more clear. The whole process took me about 2-2.5 hours. Thats taking the clutch cover off and clutches and then getting into the clutch shoes and replacing them. Id wait for someone else to help confirm the shoes, i dont wanna tell you wrong. nothing was hard but i made sure to check how everything came off and put bolts back in place so i didnt mix them. There are some bolts longer than others so you dont wanna mix them up.
i also had to use a puller to pop where the clutch shoes were. i had one in my garage for pulling dents(im a pdr, paintless dent repair, tech) so just used mine.
You could do a youtube search on how to do it. I went to airdam youtube site on how to remove the clutches. then went from there.

Looks like doorfx has the info!!

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
im going with under spec belt mine did the same...its very hard to wear out the wet clutch

·
Administrator
7,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Me too.

·
Administrator
7,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Last fall I was giving the quad a "once over" and noticed the rear cooling duct for the belt housing was kinked and out of place, probably letting heat build up inside the clutch cover.
Dont know if that was a contributing factor or not.I dunno

·
Administrator
7,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
$200 shipped.
ouch.
Does a suzuki belt fit or work? or should I just stay w/ AC?

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
I run a zuki belt! Was 136 from dealer parts cost! .

Ebay has some. 35 bucks with 200 miles. I have a couple spares

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
it is a factory suzuki belt on it...made by mitsubishi i believe....cat doesnt have a rebrand the one you get at the cat dealer still has a zuki sticker on the bag lol

·
Administrator
7,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Suzuki belt is $3 more than the Cat one, at least at the online parts place that I was on last night.
i'll look at dealer cost parts, thanks

·
Administrator
7,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Price of belts must have gone thru the roof.
cheapest is 165 plus 10 to ship on flea-bay.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Country cat had some real low miles for 35. I have. One as a spare in my bag, as if I would wver be able to change out the belt on the trail.

Damn zuki cats. Lol.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
if you run oem belts you will never need to change one on the trails.....almost 5000 miles on my bike and never broke a belt and ive been trying lol

·
Administrator
7,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oem for sure.
I have under 1000 miles on this quad. Mainly trail miles, very little mud.
I dont work it that hard for snow plowing, low range for the wet heavy stuff. My kid plowed last year when we got 18 inches in a storm. i was at work, so he might have really worked the quad pretty hard.
I'll check into the used belts from country cat. Might be worth it cause we own 2 of these 07 700's. I'll tear into it after Tuesday, they say more snow is on the way.

·
Administrator
7,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
e-mailed country cat over stock. They could not tell me how many miles were on the used belt they listed on ebay.

I guess its new belt time.
Tearing into it tonight after the winter storm

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
I just hate taken off the cage just to do the belt. Wish it was like a sled, then it could be done on the traik.

·
Administrator
7,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's apart, I've never seen so much belt dust in my life.
new belt on the way, old belt is the new spare.
Rollers, sheaves, basically everything was black.
Probably from the duct being dislodged and not letting it breathe.
the other 07 700 has twice as many miles and it really didn't have any belt dust to speak of. Pretty sure that's the problem. Dirty rollers, black sticky grim on the primary clutch.

Everything else looks good.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts