Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 07 700 EFI bike today. The bike is good shape 750 miles very clean. The owner said one day it started running bad and would die and then it might start back up. He said it was flashing some error codes. and that it seemed like it didn't do it until it warmed up some. I bought the bike at what I felt was a good price. I got it home and it has spark. i put a spark plug in started turning it over and it wasn't starting. I sprayed some starting fluid in the intake and it started right up. I was hearing the fuel pump turn on but wanted to make sure it was getting gas. Pulled the gas line and its pumping gas from what i can tell just fine. It was flashing EFI though at times while I was doing this but wouldn't do it all the time. I know i saw a EC 23 code i thought I saw a 43 once. its not flashing all the time for me to check in though. I used the paper clip to put it in dealer mode but it just gave me the 00 like there was nothing. I'm new to the EFI Arctic Cat bikes so any and all help will be appreciated. Its getting spark and gas is definitely being pumped to the throttle body so whats happening from there i don't know. The fact it will start with starting fluid makes me think somehow its not getting gas though. I'm fixing to head back out and mess with it so maybe i can get more info on the codes

·
Registered
85 Posts
C00 NONE
C12 CRANK POSITION SENSOR
C13 INTAKE AIR PRESSURE SENSOR
C14 THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR
C15 ENGINE COOLANT TEMP. SENSOR
C20 RELAY (DIFF LOCK RELAY)
C21 INTAKE AIR TEMP. SENSOR
C23 TIP OVER SENSOR
C24 IGNITION SIGNAL (IGNITION COIL)
C32 INJECTOR SIGNAL
C40 IDLE SPEED VALVE
C41 FUEL PUMP CONTROL SYSTEM

Check you tip sensor under the brake light. If 99 comes up then possibly something electrically is not allowing it to start, ground, air intake sensor, etc.

·
Administrator
39,129 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I just got done messing with it and I finally got it to give me some codes but it took a whille.
I got a 41-43 and it would cycle back through a couple times and sometimes give a 42.
The good thing is I was messing with the meter and it was an kmh so it actually only has 450 miles :)

I'm hearing a noise around the throttle body after i quit turning it over sounds like a continous clicking noise. Also hearing a click noise every time i change gears or anything electrical back by the brake light. Its just one click and may be normal but thought I would include it. Thanks

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Charge the battery first. And go from there. Alot of issue are resolved with some fresh juice. The EFI's are finicky. I would right more but here in Boston dealing with the situation of the ahit hitting the fan!

·
Banned
244 Posts
700 efi

I got the same bike.get a new battery and fully charge it.most of the time its the battery.check my posts too,i just went threw this too.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok more messing with it. The noise by the brake light is the relays.One is for neural the other is the brake light. Thats been ruled out. I have to leve it on a minute before getting the flashing EFI once I did I hooked the paper clip up and this time I got an EC 23 and then EC 99. On the list that shows a tilt sensor. The 99 means start run not possible. I'm hoping this tilt sensor is causing the problem. and me cranking it with the starter fluid while in this mode is what has thrown the fuel codes. This may not be it but just a thought. What is the tilt sensor and how do i check it fix it?

·
Banned
244 Posts
tilt sensor

Look back by your taillite.its under the fender rite behind the taillite.it has a arrow on it with a electrical plug in the bottom.arrow has to point up.

·
Administrator
39,129 Posts
Take the crap battery and put a good battery in

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After one night I'm leaning on taking it to a shop.
I had another good battery so i replaced it and nothing different. 90% of the time i get no blinking EFI. The gauge shows everything is fine. It doesn't start unless I spray starting fluid and of course it doesn't run long. Because it doesn't give the codes when I turn the key on I can't just use the paper clip for the codes because when i do I get the 00. I have got it to give me a read out of codes 2 times tonight. The first was the EC41-EC42-EC43. It cycled through these 3. The next time it was the EC23 and EC99. I'm honestly not sure ehy it gave me the codes. The first time I wasn't using the paper clip so why it even gave them to me I don't know. The second time the EFI was flashing so I decided to put the paper clip in while it was already on and thats when it gave me the EC23 and EC99. The next time I got it to flash I tried the paper clip again but it didn't give me the error codes. So I took the tilt sensor apart and it was very clean made sure everything was right in there and put it back together. It still didn't fix anything. Since then I've only got the EFI to flash a couple times and couldn't get it to give me any codes when it did.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Just throwing this out there, but the voltage regulator just went on mine. Well, it actually went last big ride last fall. I thought it was the battery so I replaced it but when I took the ATV out a couple of weeks ago to get it ready for this ride it started up then then it stalled out. It wasn't charging properly either.

Try hooking up a multi meter to see what the voltage is when you get it running for the few seconds it runs, if you can.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
First of all I appreciate all the feedback. I'm new to the 700 EFI and so all help is appreciated

I've got a few questions? When I removed the tilt sensor to clean and inspect it the display right away threw the EC23 code and continued to while it was off. When I plugged it back up and turned key on off the code was gone. If it is the Tilt sensor giving issues and causing problems shoudn't everything be fine if its not getting any code? If its not detecting a problem then it shouldn't be shutting the fuel off should it or atleast until it detects the problem?

Since the majority of the time I'm not getting any error codes shouldn't it be where it could start?

Could the throttle body need cleaned or injectors stopped up?

If there is not enough pressure coming from the fuel pump will it not inject any gas?

Will an after market CDI/ECM override these problems and start it anyways?

Most responses say there bike was at least starting but wouldn't run right. Mine won't start at all but is getting spark. so it seems whatever is wrong is shutting down the injectors so whatever my problem is should be fuel related or whatever part/relay/sensor is bad controls or is set to shut the injectors off when their is a problem.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I left the good battery on 2amp all night so battery is for sure good. A little more messing with it this morning and new codes.
This morning I got it cycling through EC26 EC34 EC41 EC99. The crazy thing is the 26 and 34 are suppose to be for the H2. Mine is the single 07.

I am using the handle bar switch to turn off and on which is cycling the fuel pump and also helps the bike to flash EFI. There is a clicking noise when i do down at the throttle body. The parts list calls it a sensor. It clicks several times when I turn it off. Is this normal?

Does it seem normal that I am getting different codes?

After a little more messing with today I'm leaning towards the tilt sensor being bad. There was one time when I turned on the key while in dealer mode it gave me an ICE23 and ICE99,(it was a 3 letter code may have been ISE can't remember for sure) which is the tilt sensor. Its the only time I've been able to get a code while turning on in dealer mode, and the only 3 letter code I've gotten so far

·
Super Moderator
4,546 Posts
Does the tilt sensor shut off spark or fuel? Anyone If it's fuel then the sensor could be the problem. explains the starting on fluid too.

·
Administrator
39,129 Posts
It shuts off fuel. Cars. Have a reset procedure when it trips. It's designed to stop the flow of fuel in the event of a crash or rollover reducing the risk of fire

·
Administrator
7,946 Posts
mine clicks after i shut it off. check your wiring harness for worn or exposed bare wires.
What battery are you using?(model or number on the battery) How many volts does it put out b-4 you start it? 12.1 or higher is right.
While running? 14.6 to 15.2 roughly.
Remove fuel injector and disassemble, clean and reinstall.
clean battery connections. make sure diodes are all pointing the right way, they can be put in backwards and it causes all kinds of havoc

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The battery is ever start. I removed from a 420 Rancher. It has 12.5 before start and once I start it was at 14.7. I've got to work tonight and tomorrow so I'll hopefully have some time on my next off days to mess with it some more. I was able to get it to shoiw me a code again in dealer mode and it was the IEC23 and IEC99, which is the tilt sensor. I've bought one from a guy on here and it should be here Saturday. It would be great if that ends up being the problem. We'll see I guess. Thanks again forn the help

·
Administrator
39,129 Posts
Just an FYI the only way to know if a battery is for sure good is to have it load tested

·
Administrator
7,946 Posts
Is your current battery a 14 amp/hr rated one? thats what the honda takes.
The 07 700 should have an 18 amp/hr rated one.
Dont know if you can eliminate the battery yet.
All I know is that these efi cat quads are fussy with batteries and need a good one.
I have a 25 amp/hr rated one in one of our 07 700's

1 - 20 of 44 Posts