Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

07 650 TRV H1 won't charge the battery

11K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  zrock 
#1 ·
OK, so I have replaced the battery atleast once, and once started, it runs good, but even once I get it running it will not charge the battery again... Now, even if I put the charger on the battery, I can not get enough juice to start the machine.
I have jumped it with my truck (only way to get it going a couple of times).
Now, my main question is, how do I know whether the Magneto is my problem or if it's the Voltage regulator?
Any help is appreciated... just got new plow for it, for Christmas and want to use it!
Thanks

#2 ·
was your truck running when you jumped it? Get the bike started and check to see the voltage @ the battery when you rev it up. It shouldnt be any higher then iirc 15.3volt.

I am betting you burnt your voltage regulator up by jumping it with your truck

#3 ·
was your truck running when you jumped it? Get the bike started and check to see the voltage @ the battery when you rev it up. It shouldnt be any higher then iirc 15.3volt.

I am betting you burnt your voltage regulator up by jumping it with your truck
X1! I'm betting you fried it.

Put a volt meter on it. YOur battery SHOULD sit about 12-13 volts w/o the TRV running - 14-15volts at idle.

If you have to "boost" it again to get it started.....shut the truck off.

I bought a 1.5amp battery maintainer for both my 550 and the TRV. They're plugged into an outside light timer and and run 6hrs on/off 24/7/365.
If you decide to charge it off a 12amp trickle charger.....disconnect the battery when you do it or you'll also fry the voltage regulator.

It's in the owner's manual somewheres.:huh:

Good Luck!

#5 ·
650 Charging issue

Thanks for all the great help.
I kept a charger on the battery for a full day, made sure the battery was reading good (about 12.6v), then started with no problem. Put a volt meter on it while running, and it crept up starting at about 14.6, but did not get higher than 15.1v.
So, I think the regulator is good, but I'll watch it. I have seen alot of people talking about how they keep a charger on it all the time.
I guess I will do the same. I am just not used to that. My last machine was a 98 Bearcat 454. It could sit outside for months in the winter and fire right up. Loved that machine!
Again, thanks for the help, and I'll see if it is fixed by keeping a charger on it.

#6 ·
Well, the newer models have a clock and such on the pod which will very very slowly drain your battery over time. Your bearcat didn't have that, so that alone is a difference worth noting.

many people use trickle chargers (Battery Tender seems to be the prevailing brand of choice). It would appear as though your machine is working fine....just watch that battery. Also keep in mind that the voltage reading doesn't tell the entire story of the battery. You can have a battery at 12.6V, but only be charged 50%. If you don't have a charger that shows you that, then you could buy one ($50-75 or so) or bring it into a battery shop for testing.

#7 ·
I found cats can barley keep the battery charged under normal riding with lights on so if you use the winch and such it will never fully recover. I have put our on maintainers for the past few years and have not had a battery issue since...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.