Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!
GOing to be doing my first oil change and was wondering if I should use the synthetic oil?? My dealer said thats whats in it from the get go, I also asked him should I change it now (40 miles) and he said nope, wait till about 100. I then asked what about stuff being in the motor still from the plant, he said if there was **** in it more and more engines would fail earlier. i personally think its a good idea to change out the oil earlier..
so what should i use?? I heard that synthetic doesnt allow the engine to break in proper..is this really true????

Attachments

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Hee Hee ... I asked my dealer adout 1st oil change.... He told me anything between 100-200 miles... any crap floating around will get caught by the oil filter... I bought the Synthetic oil and filter kit from my dealer... When I talked to him, I was told I'd be good for 700-1000 miles depending on driver abuse!! LoL... I think your ok to wait to change the oil... but it is your preferance... as for break in with synthetic.. some autos come from the factory with syn oil...

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
I cahnge my first at 150 miles .... On the second change and looking at the magnets had almost no more metal... Chane mine in the spring and then fall. I use 0 to 40 wt amsoil....

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
Change the oil at whatever interval you feel comfortable with. I would reference the Owner's Manaual and follow what it says! :thumbsup: Changing to Syn at the first oil change should be fine! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the info guys! this site rules!

·
Registered
934 Posts
If you change the oil too soon there will still be small pieces of metal coming off and going in the oil. You will need to change the oil again soon if you change it at 40 miles. Do what the dealer says and wait until ATLEAST 100 miles. 100-150 is fine. Also, dont put synthetic in it at 40 miles, it will not allow the motor to break in properly (the rings and such need to wear at first). Synthetic oil lubricates better and will take longer for the motor to break in. AFTER about 100-150 miles you will be fine to run synthetic, but not yet.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was told that it came from the factory with synthetic in it...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Information from the AMSOIL website:

Q. I heard that new cars require a break in period with petroleum before you switch them to synthetic. How long should this break in period be?

A. AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oil can be used during break-in trouble free. In fact, vehicles such as Dodge Viper and Chevrolet Corvette come factory filled with synthetic oil.

Since most new vehicles come filled with petroleum oil, it only makes good sense to change to AMSOIL at the first scheduled oil change interval. New engine components generate high levels of wear metals and can contain contaminants from assembly. By allowing the engine to operate with the petroleum oil until the first oil/filter change interval, the wear metals and contaminants are removed prior to installing AMSOIL.

My thoughts:

Change it using synthetic whenever you personally feel comfortable. The replacement cost for an engine outside of warranty is several thousand dollars. If you spend $50 changing out the filter and a few quarts of synthetic oil a couple of times within two hundred miles, how much are you really out for the added peace of mind?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
synthetic oil?? My dealer said thats whats in it from the get go[/b]
your dealer put in synthetic oil new???? not good for break in........ period.........

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Also, dont put synthetic in it at 40 miles, it will not allow the motor to break in properly (the rings and such need to wear at first). Synthetic oil lubricates better and will take longer for the motor to break in.[/b]
exacty..........

BM...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I called my dealer and they said I need to have it changed at 40 miles. I was told by the guy who is no longer there to have it changed at 100 miles. I wish I seen this first. They charged 193.00. It was 137 for labor and they did not adjust the linkage or anything else I had asked. I will start doing my own changes. thanks for the info for future ref.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts