Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a used 07 400 auto, been sitting for a few years. cleaned tank, carb, new plug and oil changed.

Was riding it around and the Speedo started going back and forth and temp light flashing. Fan never kicked on.

plugged fan directly into battery, kicked on, so fan works.
Pulled connector to fan switch and jumped the connection, fan kicked on.

so I'm guessing I need a new fan switch. but I'm not certain it's really overheating,

I let it sit for a few hours, came back out. turned key, it did the same overheat warning, but engine was not "hot to the touch" Fired it up, it went back to normal. then started doing it again just a few minutes later. I gave it a good rev, and the gauge went back to normal for a few minutes.
so I'm not sure if there is something loose, I have a bad sensor or there is something else I might not be aware of. seen some posts about wiring harness issues.

Thanks

·
Administrator
40,114 Posts
There is two sensors. One controls the fan and one controls the idiot light.

·
Registered
12,563 Posts
It takes a lot for the fan to kick in. My 03 400 usually only comes on when going slow in the bush in LO gear.

·
Administrator
40,114 Posts
I believe the manual says to put it in a pot of oil on the stove. I think it is just a normally open switch that reaches a certain temp and closes triggering the light.

Reactions: 660catman

·
Registered
12,563 Posts
This ^^^^^^^

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For giggles, I jumpered the fan to be always on, Temp light still came on after 10-15 minutes of use. pulled the drain plug in the oil cooler and verified there was flow, have already hosed out the cooling fins of that, so It's either the sensor or I have some other issue. I priced the sensors, and holy crap, $170-200. anybody know of some kind of aftermarket option for that, if it comes to it?

Oil Temp switch part # 3530-037
I assume due to it's location and what it does, when I pull that temp sensor most of the oil is coming out with it. same goes for the fan switch.

does anyone know where I could find the specs for both sensors for testing? Nevermind found it:
On the oil temperature switch when the oil temperature reaches 160° C (320° F),
the meter should read a closed circuit.

On the cooling fan switch when the temperature
reaches 120° C (248° F), the meter should read a
closed circuit.

·
Administrator
40,114 Posts
I think I have a used one here I could make a deal on

·
Registered
12,563 Posts
Go to a Suzuki dealer for your sensor. Way cheaper than a Cat dealer. Prices listed are USD for you.

Reactions: doorfx

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
World Organism Font Electronic device Multimedia
World Font Electric blue Electronic device Technology
So did another debugging run. pulled out a thermal camera and snapped a few pics. Pulled the connector for the switch ( which I should have done before posting here ) it had a fair amount of gunk in it, after some contact cleaner and abrasive pen on the contacts, the problem appears to be resolved. Looks like some corrosion might have been the issue. Once I get around to it. I will Pull the sensor and try heating it in oil to make sure it works correctly, but wanted to check in and say thanks to all that helped. Pic on left is the jug and block, pic on right is the oil cooler radiator.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, sensor is bad. tripped on me, so I pulled it out and hit it with the ohm meter, started at 0 ohm (short) and went up to 20 ohms, it have it a light tap with the back of a screwdriver and it went open circuit like it is supposed to be. that explains a few things. @doorfx what kind of deal would you like to make on one of those?

·
Administrator
40,114 Posts
I’m out of town for a while , so if you want it right away I can’t help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts