Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was active on the forum when the bike was new and I had time to ride(forgot user name). Finances and lack of time let the bike sit for years now and I am having some issues.

Boke was swamped in late 09 early 10 - flushed the oil and ran the bike and everything seemed decent then I let it sit without any real preperation.

Now with time and some funds I am trying to get it running and hitting a road block.

We removed the spark plug and upon putting a new plug in (NKG cr7e) it was very very tight. We stearted threading by hand so I dont feel it was cross threaded.

With starter fluid we got it to idle for maybe 2-3 minutes then it died - couldnt get it to fire again so we removed the plug and the gap is closed :angry:

So now the old plug and this time anti sieze and it is still tight - as a result i chickened out and didnt want to overtighten it. after 30 seconds of cranking and no starter fluid it wouldnt even splutter so i remove the plug to find it was only halfway in and something has hit the plug and closed the gap :angry:

Bike turns over easily - was stored with the plug in it afte running years ago to flush the water out of the oil.

I am lost as to what could be striking the plug. do i need to remove the heads and if so what kind of project am i looking at?

Any idea what could be striking the plug and if i could forgo the head removal. ifs its the only way so be it - i just cant figure out how it ran for a couple minutes then just stalled out and now the plug thing is happening.

I have 2 guys ready to ride with me and i really want to revive this thing and start having some fun. any and all help appreciated.

Also do i need a thread chaser for the spark plug treads? I have replaced probably 50-60 plugs and never cross threaded them - but it is extremly tight and something just doesnt feel right.

Local auto parts store did not have a thread chaser small enough so options on that would be helpful too

·
Registered
48 Posts
No other choice for pulling the head that is for sure since there is a piece of something into this cylinder could it be a walve that stuck open from rust or something and has been hit by the piston? I have no idea! Or maybe simply the wrong spark plug type?

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
any metric 10mm x 1.0 mm thread pitch tap will suffice for chasing the threads. Should be readily available at Napa or any other automotive parts store that sells tools. I'm sure you asked for a spark plug thread chaser and that yielded no results?????

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you gentlemen.

I too was worried the plug type might have been wrong ( despite checking numerous sites for verification) but one the old plug did the same thing i knew something out of the ordinary was happenening.

Any advice on pulling the heads and what steps are involved? What type of project and i getting into and any resources that could help in dissasembly?

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Thank you gentlemen.

I too was worried the plug type might have been wrong ( despite checking numerous sites for verification) but one the old plug did the same thing i knew something out of the ordinary was happenening.

Any advice on pulling the heads and what steps are involved? What type of project and i getting into and any resources that could help in dissasembly?

You really need to get your a service manual if you plan to tear into this thing. It's not a hard job but there is more to it then we can post in answers here on the site.

Need a Service Manual? You can download a free one here:
http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Arctic-Cat-ATV-Repair-and-Service-Manuals/

Also the NKG cr7e is the correct plug for the 400 motor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts