Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a couple of 0627-020 belts and noticed my old worn belt was actually wider then the new, checked both new belts they measured 1.34" and 1.32" wide ?????????????????? these are supposed to be 1.406" wide per Cat spec.

The place I bought them from called Brown's Leisure (where he ordered them from) Brown's checked a few and agreed that they are narrow so they called Cat.

Arctic Cat reply is that they are aware of the narrow belts but suggset to just re-shim the driven no refunds no replacements.

Brown's is not too happy and neither am I.
I can get truck loads of worn belts this size for free.

Make sure you measure belts before you one or try another source.

No more Cat belts for me.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Wow, pre-worn out belts for new prices at Arctic Cat! They are really going down the tubes. I'd sue in small claims court. Fees are minimal, and the precedent would be set for future cases (e.g. they could not just say they were unaware of the problem.).

·
Registered
44 Posts
I Have 2 new spares and they both measure the same as my used belts.I guess its just one more of Arctic Cats so called quality control items that slipped through the cracks.Must be a big crack because I have seen alot of Big screwups lately.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well atleast there belts are starting to match up with there piss poor dd clutch setups. Before you know it you will have a 12,000 sled that wont go anywhere because cat is not smart enough to build a drive system for a sled.

·
Registered
780 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1000mc @ Feb 20 2007, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well atleast there belts are starting to match up with there piss poor dd clutch setups. Before you know it you will have a 12,000 sled that wont go anywhere because cat is not smart enough to build a drive system for a sled.[/b]

Just makes me that much happier to have my older "cheapie" sleds that actually run damn good.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Same problem i had at beginning of year put on old belt after i measured it not thinking it was wider than the new one what gives.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I had the same problem ealier this year. I bought a 0627-020 at Total powersports in Gaylord nd it was at the low of the spec. I rode it for about 50 miles and the machine was running poorly. I threw some calipers on the belt and was astonished to find it was .020 narrower than the 2000 mile belt I took off.

I though I'd try one of the newer Kevlar belts. I think the number was 0627-035? It had the exact same dimensions as the 020 but has Kevlar cord and a different compound. The thing costs about $80.00. It's used on a 2003 F7. All I can say is DON'T DO IT! That thing slipped and growled and did all kinds of nasty stuff.

I also took my calipers with me and measured 4 different aftermarket belts (the width) and they are all too narrow.

I took both of the junk belts back for a refund. I got a 020 that was as wide as I could find (1.39 I think) and shimmed my secondary within spec.

It runs ok now but I still wonder how it would be with a belt to the widest dimension of the spec.

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
I measured a dozen of my belts. These are 010's, 020's for my standard ZR clutches plus 014's and Carlisle U3's for my Bearcats. Some are new, some are used. None of the new ones were close to spec on any of them, they were all narrow.

010's are 1.34 (should be 1.375)
020's are 1.37 - 1.38.

these are supposed to be 1.44 wide
014's are 1.41
Carlisle U3's are 1.42

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sysanalyst @ Feb 21 2007, 12:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Just makes me that much happier to have my older "cheapie" sleds that actually run damn good.[/b]
I agree with you there, and another plus is they are much easier to work on. The new laydowns are a PITA to work on when the time comes you need to do so.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
When will this crap stop? Crossfire tunnels cracking, undersized belts,...... Damn, sounds like someone wants to force their customers elsewhere! :devil_angry:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I used to use GoodYear PowerStreak belts on my ZL440 and loved them. Have not been able to get any for a couple of years, but they are back. PN 71250 ~80CDN Just measured it at 1.400 Can't wait to try it on my 600... I actually have old used powerstreakes that are wider than new Cat belts!!!

Reactions: thunderracing
1 - 14 of 14 Posts