Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd give all you 06 owners a heads up. My buddy purchased a new old stock 2006 Turbo Touring in the fall and has had numerous problems with it, the latest and most serious being the upper bearing in the chaincase going out of it. This machine has less than 500 miles on it. When he took it back to the dealer they said that was the sixth one this season they have changed. Arctic Cat knows they have a problem because the dealer showed him the old style bearing and the new "UPGRADED" version. Being that Arctic Cat knows they have this problem it's too bad they wouldn't bite the bullet and issue a maintenance bulletin or recall, getting stranded miles from home due to a problem they know about would really suck.
A couple other problems he had was the battery kept going dead after a few days and the speedo/tach ( instrument cluster) was not functioning properly. The dealer has replaced the battery and a bad ignition switch to fix the battery drain problem. He has replaced the instrument cluster ( not the problem) and the complete wiring harness to fix the instrument cluster problem. He got his machine returned yesterday so time will tell if its fixed.
Has anyone else had similar problems??

·
Registered
5 Posts
had the exact same problems with my 2006 t660 touring. battery dead twice dealer says it load tests ok. instrument cluster changed twice still does not work. have only had the sled for 5 weeks the last 3 have been at the dealer . less than 100 miles had to walk home home . very frustrating. but gotta have faith.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for your luck Orange 1000, but my buddy is glad to hear it's not just his sled. He says after replacing the alternator and wiring harness the instrument cluster problem went away. Now if he could just get the MPG up, only getting about 15MPG.

·
Registered
356 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nuclearrepairman @ Feb 17 2007, 10:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Sorry for your luck Orange 1000, but my buddy is glad to hear it's not just his sled. He says after replacing the alternator and wiring harness the instrument cluster problem went away. Now if he could just get the MPG up, only getting about 15MPG.[/b]
15 isn't bad, I was normally in the the mid 13's with my 04 T-660.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My '05 T660 Turbo, (bought new- carry over, in Oct. '06) has had the upper chaincase bearing replaced twice in 900 miles. The first replacement was at 860 miles, and about only the first 40 miles this season, while in WY, it started throwing chain lube against the muffler again.
From what I was told , the first time the bearing was bad and caused the seal to fail. The second time now, the dealer claims they replaced the bearing with an "improved" bearing and seal. In Minnesota we have not had any rideable snow in most of the state, so I may not have a chance to verify if the problem is fixed until next year.

Dealer also said they checked the jack shaft for run-out, and it is OK. So? Otherwise the sled has been OK, and have not had any battery issues. (Fingers crossed) It makes me a little nervous to be in remote areas in WY (Togwotee) and not have any back-up way to start it , such as a pull-start rope. I do carry a set of jumper cables I made up. Not as heavy duty as automitive cables, so as to save precious storage space in the seat back compartment.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have a 2005 and had the grearcase bearing re-done three times for leaking. This time it appears to be holding...no fluid leaking....however; on this trip to the U.P. the drive shift bearing failed. I grease the crossover bearing after ever trip but there are no grease fittings on the drive shaft bearing due to the speedo magnetic pickup point.

When that bearing went the first indication was the speedo going to "0" followed shortly thereafter with the check engine light coming on. The sled has 4200 miles and my dealer is now recommending changing out all of the bearings, he said he has seen a lot of failures!!!

·
Registered
568 Posts
The jackshaft bearings are going because the engine tourque stops are failing and causing strain in the secondary clutch wrecking the jackshaft bearings behind the secondary clutch. Keep an eye on your engine torque stops and adjust when needed the T660 has grizzly bear torque.
The dead batteries here have bee traced to weird remote starter key fobs. It seems the electrical system goes on standby mode sometimes and kills the battery. If you have a remote key fob and your having problems with a dead battery do not use the remote (take the small battery out of the remote) and see if it presists killing the sleds battery. I have heard the 07 T660's have a newer motor mount to eliminate the enging moving the torque stops.

·
Registered
266 Posts
MaineCat,

I have read your post and went to the parts list and compared the 05 to a 07 and found the mounts to have the same part numbers. If you could supply any more information it would be most helpful.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Took a 170 mile ride with my buddy and his 660 turbo touring yesterday. Due to some poor trails and needing to drive very slowly his fuel mileage seemed to be some what better 17mpg and 19mpg ( these are imperial gallons). Before we finished the day though his charge light started flashing. The battery appears to be charging. His dealer contacted Arctic Cat and they said the dealer would have to start unplugging circuits until they found the one causing the draw. So it's back to the dealer with it again, not so good during a short season.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Had a remote start on my last Sabercat, also buddy has an 05 turbo touring, we both had issues with battery problems until we found that the remote start is always transmitting looking for a signal, which drains the battery.

I disconnected, (as the turbo touring owner now does) the negative terminal on the battery when not using the sled for periods of over a week, and neither of us ever had a problem again.

Some people have installed a switch, but I found disconnecting the negitive terminal (on the Sabercat) can be done quick and easy...

·
Registered
27 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CATnDOO @ Feb 22 2007, 07:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Had a remote start on my last Sabercat, also buddy has an 05 turbo touring, we both had issues with battery problems until we found that the remote start is always transmitting looking for a signal, which drains the battery.

I disconnected, (as the turbo touring owner now does) the negative terminal on the battery when not using the sled for periods of over a week, and neither of us ever had a problem again.

Some people have installed a switch, but I found disconnecting the negitive terminal (on the Sabercat) can be done quick and easy...[/b]

I think you mean to say the remote start module (on the sled) is always in receive mode, meaning it is consuming a miniscule amount of power all the time. A simple toggle switch to in-line with the DC feed to the module would take care of that problem. Know, too, that the 660 has a conventional AC automotive alternator, and as in your car or truck, it too is consuming a miniscule amount of power all the time. Manufacturers don't put near big enough batteries on these types of sleds, especially this one, as there just is no room. I would make every attempt to fit the largest (physically and Amp hour capacity) battery into the sled that I could. Even if it involved making a new place for it to be.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a new 2006 t660 le ( 80 miles) with the same speedo problem , i can toggle between rpm and speedo on the digital readout but when i go to rpm the analog looking speedo does not work, when i switch to Kilometers per hour it starts to work, but the digital and the analog speedos do not match. I know that the analog looking speedo is electronic. The only thing i have done since i bought it is disconnect the battery to add helmet visor heaters.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have an '06 Turbo Trail LE and am hoping that I don't experience any of these problems... yikes.... not sounding good, though! About 280 miles on so far and no issues... (crossing fingers).

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Anyone encountereing vibration at higher speeds with an 06 T660 Turbo Touring LE?

if you do it's probably driveshaft bearings

·
Registered
30 Posts
check the driven cllutch to see if it loose on the jack shaft. It you get about 7 thousands wear on it you will get vibration. Mine was short a shim behind the secondary and so not tight on shaft even though the fastener was tight.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi,
I own a 2006 T660 Turbo Touring LE. I'm closing in on 6000 trouble free - and I mean trouble free miles on it. I changed out a few shims around 3200 miles, other than keeping up with proper maintenance. Speaking of maintenance........ super easy compared to my 2010 Z1 1100 Turbo LXR. I believe AC has dropped the ball on many things on the Z1 compared to my T660. Both in maintenance & quality.

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
check the driven cllutch to see if it loose on the jack shaft. It you get about 7 thousands wear on it you will get vibration. Mine was short a shim behind the secondary and so not tight on shaft even though the fastener was tight.
You do know there's suppose to be some back and forth play on the shaft right? It's needed to keep things in line, if you have it locked down solid it's going to increase wear on pretty much everything (belt & clutches).

My first guess would be drive shaft bearing, second would bet the secondary clutch BUT they did fix that somewhere along the line and for what ever reason I think your '06 should be OK.

Do the bearing(s) anyway, if it goes it's going to ruin your day.

Oh and holy old thread Bat Man!

K

·
Registered
8 Posts
You do know there's suppose to be some back and forth play on the shaft right? It's needed to keep things in line, if you have it locked down solid it's going to increase wear on pretty much everything (belt & clutches).

My first guess would be drive shaft bearing, second would bet the secondary clutch BUT they did fix that somewhere along the line and for what ever reason I think your '06 should be OK.

Do the bearing(s) anyway, if it goes it's going to ruin your day.

Oh and holy old thread Bat Man!

K
Sure is an old thread Robin ;) The bearings failed on the crankcase side, thankfully in the yard before I left so I wasn't stranded somewhere (sled suddenly stuck in reverse). Changed them out (first timer, not a mechanic per se). The dealer has never been able to eliminate the vibration I get with my '06. My '04 ran smooth as silk. It seems to only vibrate under load, meaning if I hang the ass end in the garage and rev her up, the vibration doesn't seem to be there? Thoughts?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
About this Discussion
46 Replies
22 Participants
kopeck
Arctic Cat Forum
Arctic Cat forum is a community to discuss Arctic Cat 400, 440, 500, 650, snowmobiles, sleds, ATV's and more. Join the fun!
Full Forum Listing