Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a problem with random misfire and stall, just like running out of gas but backfire.

I used all of the forum tips and tricks (thanx) and checked stator, and every wire, regulator, sensor (1st TPS) and battery and finally gave up to technician to figure it out as I wanted to ride this coming weekend.

Problem traced to diode in fuse block that was installed backwards and when turned around worked 100% like new again.

Problem is I've put on over 5000 miles and never touched a fuse or diode and nobody else has so how could this happen at this point?

Why would atv run awesome and then not at all? I'd think it would have to be one way or the other.

Any insite welcome

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
Did you have it at a dealer lately, before it started acting up? A lot of times, a dealer MAY do something and "forget" they did it and will tell you they didn't touch anything. (I experienced that once and will not allow it to happen ever again.)

If the diode is not installed properly, it will not run right at all. They only work installed one way, they're directional.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Maybe one of your riding buddies playing a trick and swapped a diode around when you were not looking?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was not at any dealer for service.
It would run great, hesitate and then clear up or stall and I could restart and it would run great and no test of logic could find it and I know that nobody else touched it.

I know how diode works so what makes this intermittent problem (until solved) and how could it run that way since 2006?

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Was not at any dealer for service.
It would run great, hesitate and then clear up or stall and I could restart and it would run great and no test of logic could find it and I know that nobody else touched it.

I know how diode works so what makes this intermittent problem (until solved) and how could it run that way since 2006?
That I'm unsure of how that would happen. The diodes in the fuse box are only for the gear selection indicator on the LCD preventing the "E" on the display and to tell the ECU what gear you are in so it knows when to enable the reverse RPM limiter and or the 4X4 lock RPM limiter if it's like the Tcat. This I am sure of at least on the 06 650H1 and the 08 Tcat H2.

Other than the Limiter engaging when it shouldn't, it should of always displayed an E on the display all the time. If the Diode reversed was the only problem I cannot visualize it causing problems intermittently. In my thinking there is no way that this should of been a sporadic problem for that long. Should of been a consistent problem from day one. I'm thinking you did not get the whole story from the mechanic who worked on it and something else was done????

I'm confused and could not offer any answer beyond this. Just couldn't happen. Unless there is something unique on the 700 Suzuki based machine that I'm not aware of. Admittedly I've never studied the 700EFI wiring diagrams, I've always assumed it was the same on all cats that had diodes in the fuse box.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think that it was cutting out with rev limiter @ 3000 rpm and when I was riding and "normal" and this happened it would activate rev limiter so your thought process would be right on.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
I think that it was cutting out with rev limiter @ 3000 rpm and when I was riding and "normal" and this happened it would activate rev limiter so your thought process would be right on.
Wow if you've never had that engine above 3000 RPM in the time you've owned it, you are in for a pleasant surprise when cruising down a high speed trail

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been riding it for years with VDI copperhead that I've tuned quite well and Dalton Clutch kit so I know what full potential is (and so do a "few" dusty non arctic cat machines) that I've passed.

I actually blamed VDI at first and then swapped back to original ECU and problem followed.

Rev limiters disabled on VDI from install.

I like the Suzuki so much that I would rebuild it before buying new cat

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
I've been riding it for years with VDI copperhead that I've tuned quite well and Dalton Clutch kit so I know what full potential is (and so do a "few" dusty non arctic cat machines) that I've passed.

I actually blamed VDI at first and then swapped back to original ECU and problem followed.

Rev limiters disabled on VDI from install.

I like the Suzuki so much that I would rebuild it before buying new cat
Yup that explains it The VDI was masking you're problem most of the time.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The VDI was NOT the problem - the problem followed with cat ECU that I reinstalled to check TPS.

The VDI was (still is) best thing that I've ever done to my cat with Suzuki motor.

Wife has 08 H1 700 all stock and although a great motor I can leave her 2 city blocks behind me at a moments notice.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
The VDI was NOT the problem - the problem followed with cat ECU that I reinstalled to check TPS.

The VDI was (still is) best thing that I've ever done to my cat with Suzuki motor.

Wife has 08 H1 700 all stock and although a great motor I can leave her 2 city blocks behind me at a moments notice.
Yes I understand that, What I meant was with the VDI removing stock rev limiters, you wasn't seeing the problem of the diode being reversed like you would normally see with a stock ECU.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts