Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend is considering buying a 06 M5. He asked me to post some questions on here so he knows what hes buying.

1: Does it come in EFI like the sabercat 500?

2: What are the track options (length and lug)?

3: How fast will they go?

4: How well do they clinb?

5: How well do they go on the flatland?

6: How good are they on the trail?

7: Will it beat my friends sabercat 500?

He just gave these to me to write on here so if your wondering im the one with the sabercat.

·
Registered
69 Posts
They are found most commonly with the efi but ac did have a few carb models last year, They will top out at 70 to 75 mph (stock) they will outclimb a mountain goat and do it faster and he may not out run you but he will outclimb you, it came in a 153" and 162" track you could ask for the camoplast track you do not want the attack 20 it is more like a third ski rahter than a track and it is an excellent mtn sled good for boondocking big powder and steep hills not so good on the trail it tracks alot and is a little rough.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont know if a 162" track on a 500 would be very reasonable. A 141" and a 151" would be fine though. Does it come in one of those.

So are the shocks harder than a firecat or just cheapo on that model?

So it only goes 70mph. Thats great news for me becasue mine will push 90-95!
i know he will outclimb me though for sure. He might beat me on take off in the powder too. Nine just sits there and spins until like 35-40mph. Then it takes off.

·
Registered
74 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Schneehagen @ Jan 9 2007, 07:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
They are found most commonly with the efi but ac did have a few carb models last year, They will top out at 70 to 75 mph (stock) they will outclimb a mountain goat and do it faster and he may not out run you but he will outclimb you, it came in a 153" and 162" track you could ask for the camoplast track you do not want the attack 20 it is more like a third ski rahter than a track and it is an excellent mtn sled good for boondocking big powder and steep hills not so good on the trail it tracks alot and is a little rough.[/b]
M5's did not come in anything bigger than a 141 x 1.6" track and in stock config is pretty lame as a boondocking or a hillclimbing sled. I know cause my girlfriend has one. So far we've put reed spacers, (thanks ODS Dan) Holz torque arm brackets, 2 1/4 A20 track (not my first choice but it was cheap) and a 3" handlebar riser (Ole's risers ROCK!!!!!). It's more like a mountain sled now but the clutching is WAYYY off. The Cat dealer in Burns Lake is gonna get me some info clutch setup for it, they know a guy thats tuned a few M5's so when I get the info I'll post it.

They arent a bad machine but Cat left too much in the box.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 06 m5, and i find the sled great. If your looking to go faster than your friends sled, this is not the sled for u! BUT if you like playing around in the snow and chalenging yourself on a small machine like this, this would be the sled for u. and the series sleds are the coolest looking sleds around!!!. as for my self ive got a set of d and d pipes, air intake and some reedspacers for this season, that will put some bark in the sled. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats OK man, we all make mistakes.

He is really thinking about it now. He is just mad that i will beat his butt bad on the trails and even in the powder, sometimes.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He just bought the 06 M5 on wed night. Went with him. It is in black becasue that is only what they come in. It is EFI though. It goes OK i think the track is just too big. It just doesnt get up and go like mine does. We have the same miles on ours so dont say its because his isnt broken in yet because it is. Although the long track is nice for in the powder. It doesnt spin as much when you get in to the powder.

Then i brought mine over and well, i beat him bad. He got me on take off but on a 1/2 mile track i was flying past him once i got going.

I think the ski stance is too small on that sled. And it is set up too stiff, when your on the trails it just wants too tip all the time. Otherwise it is a great sled!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey tim. Do the d&d pipes work good on the efi non power valve 500. I really want a single pipe for my sled and i think it would be much better. Did you just use firecat 500 pipes?

·
Registered
14 Posts
TIM are you using a can also and if so which one? Do you have a single pipe or twins? I need a little something to wake my M5 up as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
sorry boys for taking so long to reply. I dont have these pipes insatlled yet because im still waiting for snow where i live. But its just twin pipes with twin canisters. These are not m5 pipes these are fire cat pipes, and need a bit of work to be installed i think. I got the idea off of ebay a guy had it done to a 05 m5. The cost of the pipes were $1100.00 plus clutch and labour to be installed, hope i am of help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts