Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time lurker, first post. I have a 2006 AC 400 4X4 that is giving me the fits.

Background, I had a misfire a couple of years ago and wouldn't rev up. A new Flywheel and stator, carb cleanings, voltage regulator, new plug and ignition coil, finally found that the exhaust lobe on the cam turned into a circle.

I replaced the cam and rockers this past weekend and it revs great now and power is back. I still have oil starvation at the top of the head though and don't want to ruin what I just replaced. I removed the right side cover and inspected the oil pump which is good. New oil filter. Disconnected the oil cooler line next to the oil filter and have good steady flow.

My question is how does oil make its way to the head? The only thing I cannot get a definitive answer is where is the oil pressure relief valve? It's the only thing I can think of that would be restricting lubrication to the top but I have no idea how oil flows or where the valve is.

I have a service manual for it and there's no mention how oil flows or valve location. Any help is appreciated greatly. Thanks.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
I have an 03 manual and oil flow chart is in section 4 fuel lubrication cooling.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So ultimately this relief valve could be my issue. Is this internal? I didn't see it in the right side.

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
It’s doesn’t show in manual but I’m wondering if this is it under that nut by oil filter. I took a picture of my 03 400 auto.
IMG_2097.jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked at that and wasn't sure if that was it but there's a lot of reason to believe that may be it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So in the book it states Oil Gallery Plug for that item. But shows a listing in the parts fiche for a Oil Pressure Relief Valve.

The search continues...

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With the orientation of the picture, it would appear that it threads into the case near the oil filter but it doesn't seem to be the location.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
Yea I got confused with the diagrams too. Not sure now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Looks like the engine needs to be split. F***. Looks to be the inside of the left crankcase just above the highlighted E you can see where the oil filter spins on.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can I get another opinion on this? I am really tempted to tear this down and replace the valve as well as standard bore rebuild kit.

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
So hard to get good advice on a bullet proof engine that not many have had to open up lol. I did my camshaft and both rockers last fall as my exhaust rocker wore down quite a bit while scoring the camshaft. Never did a full tear down. Just an FYI, if you need engine parts go to Suzuki as they are much cheaper. I got my parts from Suzuki. Model is the Eiger.
Hopefully someone else will chime in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All good, as I stated in the first post, I replaced the stator and Flywheel a couple of months ago. Just took me an hour to get both side covers off. Tomorrow the head should be out along with the piston. Then split cases Fri and riding by Sunday .

Thank you for your response. Some days I wish I was closer to more competent ATV folks just to shoot the shi*.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So hard to get good advice on a bullet proof engine that not many have had to open up lol. I did my camshaft and both rockers last fall as my exhaust rocker wore down quite a bit while scoring the camshaft. Never did a full tear down. Just an FYI, if you need engine parts go to Suzuki as they are much cheaper. I got my parts from Suzuki. Model is the Eiger.
Hopefully someone else will chime in.
What was the cause of your exhaust rocker wearing down that's what happened to mine

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
What was the cause of your exhaust rocker wearing down that's what happened to mine

I have no idea. I was religious in my oil changes with Cat ACX 0W-40 from the first oil change. I bought machine new too. It had 3184 miles on the clock when I tore it apart. Tried to adjust valves and could not get them to quiet down. Doorfx, another member here listened to it when he was visiting me and suggested looking into it. And it was the exhaust rocker that took the beating
IMG_1749.jpg
IMG_1750.jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have no idea. I was religious in my oil changes with Cat ACX 0W-40 from the first oil change. I bought machine new too. It had 3184 miles on the clock when I tore it apart. Tried to adjust valves and could not get them to quiet down. Doorfx, another member here listened to it when he was visiting me and suggested looking into it. And it was the exhaust rocker that took the beating
View attachment 347915
View attachment 347917
Interesting. Mine was exactly like that. I wonder if maybe I don't even have an oil issue maybe this is inherent?

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
Interesting. Mine was exactly like that. I wonder if maybe I don't even have an oil issue maybe this is inherent?

It does make you wonder and touch wood, I have not had issues with the inherent flywheel magnets coming loose that so many have had.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So i have finished my tear down to the point I can dismount the engine cases and split them. Imagine how shocked I was when I walked over to look at the gaskets I needed to order and discovered the oil pressure relief valve is actually in the STATOR cover. Fuhhhh lol all that teardown for nothing.

Anyone reccommend an AC parts house over another? I have ordered from Babbits before but just curious where others have purchased from.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
View attachment 347915
View attachment 347917
How many miles/hours have you done since changing the top end? Do you still find it hot? I have been thinking about a solution in case this second one doesn't last very long.

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
26 miles of nothing but snow plowing. Have not rode it in summer yet but it was always hot. .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts