Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have a 2006 f7 efi and went to start it after summer. Found the throttle cable was stuck. Freed that up.
Wierd thing is every other pull it fires but the pull after it doesnt do anything.
If I hold quarter throttle it will start but rev way out and stay there. Dont know if this matters or not but inside of exhaust is really black.
Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
It might be a simple adjustment of the throttle cable, it may have stretched over time and is setting off the safety switches. The black stuff in the exhaust is normal, after you ride it the first time it should burn it all away.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It might be a simple adjustment of the throttle cable, it may have stretched over time and is setting off the safety switches. The black stuff in the exhaust is normal, after you ride it the first time it should burn it all away.
Thanks for the info
Is there a way to check the safety switch? If so where is it located?

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Make sure the throttle cable is sitting correctly in the control block on handlebars. The safety switch is in that block. You should hear a click when pressing on the throttle. There is supposed to be a little play in cable.

·
Registered
2004 Arctic Cat 400
1,436 Posts
The throttle lever bushings should be in an Oval slot, when you press the throttle the bushings will slide one way, bottom out, then the throttle starts to pivot open correctly, the extra movement is the disengagement of the safety switch to ensure their is pressure on the throttle lever before the cable starts to move.

Basically it tells the machine that the cable is moving from input not from freeze-up, if the TSS wasn't there and your throttle freezes open when you start your ride it can take off without you and smash through everything in it's path (alot of mechanics shop install temp tethers or properly mount a ride if it's on the ground before starting it, you'd honestly be shocked at how many sled-techs have seen machines launch across the yard/shop/bay because a stuck throttle and inattentive wrench-monkey.)

Try tensioning the throttle cable a bit at a time and see if the problem resolves itself, Until you have success i recommend having someone with a hand on the killswitch ready to slap it if your machine decides to go for a journey without you.

If tightening the cable doesn't resolve the issue the bushings/pin might need some attention and replacement, but not usually unless 1 piece is straight up missing. DO NOT DISABLE the TSS... lot's of guys think "I'll unplug this and problem solved" don't do that. only do that with someone on the machine ready to kill-switch it, and only do it as a TEST to see if it fixes your problem.

Reactions: 660catman
1 - 6 of 6 Posts