Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just trying to figure out the gearing on this sled compared to the firecats and it seems to be they area geared waaaay to low. With the 60/60 (2.11 ratio) gears and a 9 tooth driver its equal to running a 57/63 (2.33) gearset with 10 tooth drivers, whereas a stock firecat runs a 65/55 (1.79 ratio) . If you run the stock fcat gears with the 9 tooth drivers you'll get a 1.97 ratio which is still geared lower than a firecat. Has anyone tried gearing up and runnning another sled to see if there was a difference or has anyone ran against the early build with the 65/55 to see which is faster. I can see now why they struggle after 85 mph to get any top end, I think theyre just out of gear at that point. Any thoughts?????????

·
Registered
290 Posts
The Crossfire is a Hybrid sled thus the gear ratio which is lower than a Firecat and higher than a M Series. If flat out speed is your game then the Crossfire is the wrong sled for you. First you pick your riding style then pick your sled.

Out west where I ride we gear everything down as even the M-Series have too tall of a gear ratio for the steep and deep.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
The gearing is a happy medium between mountain / trail....therefore crossfire.

Mine runs 110 on glare ice with stock gears. No doubt though when racing my F7 it's all over after 80per. The crossfire has the advantage (small) to maybe 600' then it's allllll F7. Both my sleds have equal amounts of clutching / tuning. Of course if the F7 is driven very well out of the hole it can run the crossfire down VERY quickly.

IMO F6 gears ideal for the crossfire for trail riding.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cmscat50 @ Apr 20 2007, 10:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The gearing is a happy medium between mountain / trail....therefore crossfire.

Mine runs 110 on glare ice with stock gears. No doubt though when racing my F7 it's all over after 80per. The crossfire has the advantage (small) to maybe 600' then it's allllll F7. Both my sleds have equal amounts of clutching / tuning. Of course if the F7 is driven very well out of the hole it can run the crossfire down VERY quickly.

IMO F6 gears ideal for the crossfire for trail riding.[/b]

well I've got a set of 62/58 gears and am debating wether to put those in the wife's F7, and take those 65/55 and put them in my x-fire, then they would both be geared almost the same with the different drivers. I think this will benefit both sleds and make the x-fire run more like it should. Love the sled just think it should run closer to an F7 on top end than what it does.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts