Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My drive belt is not running even in the secondary. It is running low at the top and dragging the housing at the bottom. I noticed when I spread it with the housing bolt to install the belt that it doesn't spread evenly. Is it supposed to spread evenly? Is this what's causing the belt to run uneven? I've destroyed one belt already. Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Administrator
38,603 Posts
Was the belt free in the primary before you tightened it up?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes- belt was loose in primary. Cam shoes appear in good order. Is there supposed to be slack between the inner and outer shafts of the secondary? I can stretch one side open to cause nearly a 1/4" difference in sheave separation between the top and bottom. My theory is that, under load, the belt is separating the loaded (top) sides of the sheaves while closing up the slack side causing the belt to pull down into the sheaves further on the loaded side and pushing it further out of the sheaves on the slack side (bottom). Just a theory because I don't know if those secondary shafts are supposed to have so much play in them. Any thoughts? Thanks guys!

·
Administrator
38,603 Posts
Can you take a picture or vid of what you mean. It does not sound right that is for sure. Look in the pinned section there is a thread on assembly and reclocking your spring it might help

Reactions: dmarkmc

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help, doorfx. I think I can post a pic of what I'm talking about tomorrow. I'll check out that post.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Sounds like your secondary is flat worn out. It should move in and out evenly no matter where you are opening it from. The hub is part of the fixed sheave and the helix and moveable sheaves ride on bushings on the hub. You should not be able to open the clutch crooked.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Did you try reclocking the secondary? It sounds like the spring is too loose and not creating enough pressure. Or maybe the helix is not in the right orientation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
82F100SWB- that's exactly what I was thinking. Not real savvy on the Cats but made sense to me. Thanks for the confirmation I needed to bite the bullet and buy a new one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
82F100SWB- that's exactly what I was thinking. Not real savvy on the Cats but made sense to me. Thanks for the confirmation I needed to bite the bullet and buy a new one.
I know this post is from a long time ago and it took me forever to find it but I am having the exact same issue. Am I correct in that it just flat out needs replacing? If so, where's the best spot to pick up a new one? Its a 2014 ZR 6000 rr with a bmp torsion kit.
Thanks for any advise!

·
Administrator
38,603 Posts
Not only is it an old post but it’s for an ATV not a sled. Try the sled section and specific forum for your machine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts