Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
07 650 H1 engine noise

I have a 2007 650 H1 ATV I bought from a friend. He bought it new and had bad luck a few weeks after he bought it. It drowned out in a water hole with less than 300 miles on it. He took it straight to the Dealer it was bought from. A few weeks and $700 bucks later he picked it up to find it was smoking. (It was never started from drowning to dealer). Dealer told him he was on his own, so he parked it, for 5 years...........lol. Last year he (with the help of a good ATV mechanic) took the engine down, split the case, cleaned it out, replaced piston, ring, and cylinder. Once the engine was back together the mechanic test started it and went home. It still ran rough so he offered it to me for cheap. So far I have removed and cleaned the carb, new plug, adjusted the valves (.004 and .006). They were .007 and .009! Ground cable was loose causing cdi box to cut out. 90% of the engine noise is now gone, it starts and runs smooth with good acceleration and throttle response, but there is still a metal cluck cluck noise that seems to be coming from inside the crankcase between the primary and secondary clutches. I know this engine has a counter balance shaft, is it possible this noise is normal? I just want to make sure before I put it on the trail..................

Dewayne

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Can you post a vid of the noise?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The sound and video quality is not as good once it uploaded to Youtube. However you can clearly hear the knock/clack noise.

Dewayne

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Even though the noise sounds like it is coming from behind the secondary clutch area I know from experience that trouble shooting this type noise may not be what it seems to the ear. Some noises are directional and some non-directional. If it is a non-directional noise it can be coming from a different part of the engine. After looking at the engines internal parts (service manual) I cant make sense of the noise coming from behind the secondary clutch as none of those parts are moving until the secondary clutch is rotating. Can the wet clutch make this noise? If the counter balancer was off one notch it would lock the motor up, so that cant be it.

This is my first Arctic Cat, so please be patient with me guys. I appreciate any and all helpful responses. This machine is so nice, clean and tight, (low hours/miles) and I got it at a good price, I want to know for certain what is making this noise before I start riding, cause when I ride I ride hard ! ! ha ha.....
I would rather take the time now to get it right, even if I have to split the case, than chance slinging something loose later.............

Dewayne

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
After viewing your vid and rereading your first post I don't think the noise is normal, it also seems to gets louder as the engine warms up. Now after the guy swamped it did it sit with water inside the case? It's either that or the guy who rebuilt it didn't installed something the correct way.

Reactions: de_lok

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
No the wet clutch shouldn't make any noise you can hear.

·
Registered
22 Posts

For what it's worth when I pulled my cover off I found some dead mice, seeds, etc inside the case behind the primary.. It might be worth while pulling it apart and seeing if there's not something in it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After viewing your vid and rereading your first post I don't think the noise is normal, it also seems to gets louder as the engine warms up. Now after the guy swamped it did it sit with water inside the case? It's either that or the guy who rebuilt it didn't installed something the correct way.

He never started it once it drowned. It was towed back to the trailer and went to the AC dealer he bought it from. He noticed it smoking while trailering it at the dealer, after getting home his first brief test drive smoke increased. He parked it in the shop and called dealer who pretty much told him he was on his own. He got so frustrated that he just parked it in his shop and it sat there for 5 years. Last summer (2012) he got tired of looking at it and decided to fix it. He removed the engine, split the case, cleaned it out thoroughly, replaced the cylinder, piston, rings, timing chain, and oil pump.

There is a good possibility something could have been installed incorrectly. It can happen to the best of us, especially staying up late at night trying to get done. I just wish I could have been there while he had it apart, I am very particular about this type of work.

I have the time, tooling, and capability to do my own work. I always like to get input from people that are familiar with a particular model that I am not, and I share freely with others that need the same.

I did take it to the local AC dealer this morning. I started the engine, he listened to it for a good 3 to 5 seconds, turned and started walking back to his shop, and out of the corner of his mouth said "sounds like an Arctic Cat to me"............ one of his mechanics listened to it and told me "Dude, that racket aint normal". So, there you go........??????.....????

I appreciate your response......

Dewayne

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Did you see the engine with the cases opened? I ask because you never said if the oil was drained right away after it took a dip. Water sitting inside an engine will cause major damage. And IMO the noise isn't normal and seems to get louder when warm.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I would start by removing the clutches then starting it, if the noise goes away then your close if not then remove the right side case and inspect.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did you see the engine with the cases opened? I ask because you never said if the oil was drained right away after it took a dip. Water sitting inside an engine will cause major damage. And IMO the noise isn't normal and seems to get louder when warm.

spoonln30,

I stated earlier that I wish I had been there when it was opened, I wouldn't be having this problem if I had been! ha ha Rockerdude. I can't say as to the oil drainage, he took it in to the dealer within a couple days of drowning..............

Video sound quality sucks! The noise really is constant, ambient thru full running temp and RPM ranges. I have a HD camera with an excellent microphone, sound quality is awesome when I play it back from the SD card, the upload process (compression) to youtube doesn't always translate sound as it should. I need to compress my files before upload, just takes too much time in this case.....

Sometimes my friends ask me to help when something breaks, but they don't beat my door down because they know I refuse to cut corners, if your going to fix it then fix it right the first time. Nothing gets on my nerves more than a riding buddy that breaks down on the trail and ruins a good ride:Bangin:, especially when they had plenty warning and time to get it fixed.......................:wacko:

I am taking the belt off this morning. I will start it without the belt, if the noise is still there I will remove the clutch, and keep going as far as I can without pulling the engine off the frame. I plan to video the process..................................

I will check back in later today............

Dewayne

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Ok, I can rule out clutch and transmission noise. I removed the primary clutch and belt, the noise was still there. My next step was to drain the oil and pull the cover to expose the wet clutch. The oil drain plug had 1/4 inch of sludge on it, so I removed the sump and strainer. I am positive the engine will have to be split apart again. Take a look at the trash in the strainer and black goop and trash in the sump. This oil has less than 5 hours running time on it..........(well, that's what I was told.............:(

Dewayne

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Can you pick up any of those pieces off the strainer with a magnet? That black sludge isn't from a quick dip in some water, that's from lack of oil changes. I know that crap when I see it from the years of playing mechanic at Toyota dealers and the big sludge issues with the 1MZFE 3.0 engines in the mid 2000's.
Just pull the case to inspect the wet clutch area. I wonder if he installed the one way bearing correctly. GL

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Can you pick up any of those pieces off the strainer with a magnet? That black sludge isn't from a quick dip in some water, that's from lack of oil changes. I know that crap when I see it from the years of playing mechanic at Toyota dealers and the big sludge issues with the 1MZFE 3.0 engines in the mid 2000's.
Just pull the case to inspect the wet clutch area. I wonder if he installed the one way bearing correctly. GL
The only metal was two small flakes of aluminum, after sifting the stuff in the picture with mineral spirits and a coffee filter most of it was gasket material. I will have more pictures later....
The one way bearing was installed correctly...

Dewayne

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Here are some pictures of the clutch housing removed. The one of the crankshaft is a little fuzzy, I will try to get a better pic tomorrow. Everything inside this engine looks like new..............

1 - 20 of 101 Posts