Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All, I don't post much in the Atv section, or on here at all for that matter but I'm looking at purchasing an 06 650 from a buddy of mine that ran it out of oil. It has the Kawi engine and has a pretty severe knock right now. He hasn't had the engine apart at all but from listening to it I think the crank bearing got dry and now the knocking is coming from the slop between the crank and rod bearing.

My question is just on the engine assembly. Does it use nicasil in the cylinders? Or is it a steel liner or something similar? If a crank is spun do they make over sized bearings like in a SBC? Or does the crank just need to be replaced? Estimates on prices would be great also. Thanks. Cat happy

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
The bearings on these engines aren't like a traditional cars bearing. They use a roller bearing. I believe the liners are plated. You may want to do a search because I thought i read something about problems with the oil pumps breaking and you'll lose oil pressure. That maybe what took the bearings out. I would fully disassemble the engine and inspect all of the components, checking all of the tolerances per the FSM. This way if too many parts are damaged just buying a used engine could be the better choice. I also just checked out country cat and AC doesn't sell OS bearings, you would just have to buy the crankshaft/rod assembly and the piston separate. GL.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Agreed with above posts.

New Cranks run $400 or so. I just sold a bottom end with a good crank for around $350, so sometimes you can luck up and find deals like that.

While you are in it I would suggest going with new timing chains a well (3 and 1 oil pump chain) since they like to stretch.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I don't think there is anything wrong with the oil pump as the engine has only 600 miles and the reason it went dry was the mechanic forgot to put oil back in when the oil change was done. My plan is to fully disassemble the engine and just replace the bad parts. I can buy the unit for $2500 as is and then I just need to fix it. Comes with a winch and plow and racks. It was the LE so it came with the nicer wheels and bumpers and what not. What do you guys think of these atv's? Go with this or spend a little more and find a 700efi?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
It depends if you want to spend the time and money to rebuild the engine for the 650. They are great machines and only really have problems if their not taken care of like not adding in oil after draining it. LOL.
You have to remember that the oil not only feeds the engine but the transmission parts too. So there maybe other damage. How long was it ran for without oil and was is ridden w/o oil?

·
Registered
664 Posts
That's WAY too much for a V2 with a blown engine. I bought mine for that and it was running.

You're probably looking at around $1200 in repairs. Crank, timing chains, rod bearings, and I'm sure the top end needs some work as well. Not to mention your time.

I would see about $1000-$1200 in it. The one that my old engine is going in sold for $900 and it had the same issues (locked up). And it was an LE with nice rims and Silverback tires.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Where did you buy a 06 650 runner for $2500? That's a great deal.

·
Registered
664 Posts
05 model in Georgia, two years ago. Factory trim too, about 1000 miles. Arctic Cats have low resale value. It's a double edge sword.

First $3500 can have my V2. And it runs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.