Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2006 500 auto. I'm interested in getting the most out of the engine. I've read through quite a few of the posts on here and haven't been able to find exactly what I'm seeking.

I'd like to replace the stock exhaust system. I'd also like to replace the stock carb jets and air filter.

I'm looking for a "matched system".

Are there any complete systems out there?

I'm not terribly interested in high rpm performance or top speed performance. I'm most interested in low to midrange torque and horsepower gains. I use my atv for trail riding and utility work like snow removal and yard work.

Thanks for the input.

Rick

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
I own a 05 500 Auto LE. I wanted the same kind of performance low end, I don't know of a all in one kit. But this will definately boost low end you will beable to pull the front up with no problem. First you need to get more air in snorkel it you won't be disappointed, its good insurance the air induction is in a bad place, I snorkled mine for about $30. Then you have to rejet due to more air, get a dynojet kit $60. I also added a K&N filter $40. Do the carb slide mod its great with all the combined. I also did the muffler mod, if your getting more air in faster you need to get it out faster, you could also buy aftermarket exhaust for about $255. Then you get to have fun learning about jetting. Anyway sorry for the long post, but you will love the outcome!!!!! Oh it doesn't really wake up until about 1000miles or so!!!

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
2in Snorkle $30
Jets $20 42 and 45 pilot, 155, 160 main. needle spacer #4 washer from hardware store.
HMF exhaust $300

Catwalks on a AC 500, Priceless!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Changes coming for my wifes 06 500 auto
4 29.5x10s Laws
4 HL 1in wheel spacers
HMF pipe
Dyno jet and carb slide mod
Clutch kit
Highlifter springs
Snorks
Rad relocate
Spyder grips
K&N
and some other stuff, cost, tell you when Im done,,,

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Albeit not truely an "engine" mod, you could reclutch it for more low end power. All said, you're likely looking at $40-50 or so.

As for an "all in one" kit, I don't know of any. I think you're going to have to piecemeal it together. You can buy a Dynojet jet kit OR buy the jets from the dealership (a LOT cheaper) OR install a Dial a Jet (which will allow you to change the air/gas mixture without rejetting).

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. I was hoping to find a "matched set" from a specific vendor. That way I could be assured of jetting and compatibility. Since that doesn't seem to be an option, I'll probably have to piece something together.

I'd rather pay for a commercial pipe rather than making mods to the stock unit.

If anyone is using a specific pipe and jet kit and is happy with it, please post your setup.

Where can I find more information on "snorkeling" and dial-a-jets?

As the unit will not be used for mud bogging and water crossing, I don't really need a snorkel for those purposes.

What modifications are necessary for the addition of a K&N Filter?

Thanks again for all the help. I'm new to the ATV hobby, but I'm looking forward to getting started.

Rick

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
i added my hmf and snorkle for the extra power, not really for mud bogging. The snorkle is nice insurance though since i do find myself in way to deep sometimes.

Thats all you need here.
2in Snorkle $30
Jets $20 42 and 45 pilot, Harley dealer will carry them. take your stock one out and bring it with you to show them or order them from your dealer.
155, 160 main from your dealer. needle spacer #4 washer from hardware store.
HMF exhaust $300 or speedwerx makes one also.

take a saturday to put it together.
Do a search on snorkles and there is a 20 plus page link on snorkle options. Easy to do but a little time comsuming.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hey Hoopie, don't forget he has an Auto, and it's an '06...

Pipe - HMF utility slipon - $229 shipped
Jet kit - DynoJet - $46.95
Do-it-yourself full snorkel - $51.51
K&N air filter - $45.95

You would only need a clutch kit if you were running 29.5 Outlaws and wanted really low torque. For the HMF pipe, they don't currently make one for the 500s, so you'd get a '06 H1 pipe...really not that much modding to make it work. For the snorkel as mentioned above, people do it for the piece of mind (saw a guy yesterday getting oil and a filter to flush out his engine...had gotten water in it and was just hunting). Black 2" pvc can be purchased at Lowe's, and on an Auto, you have 1 for air intake, and 2 for the belt (1 intake & 1 exhaust). The K&N air filter just drops in.
Each bike is going to be different in jetting, but you can look at a couple of bikes to get an idea where to start. The directions in the DynoJet kit usually provide the best starting point. We ended up leaving the pilot jet alone, changing out the main jet to DJ148, clip on the 3rd, and 3 turns out. This is for below 5000ft with a performance pipe. The kit not only changes out the jet, but gives you a new needle to make adjustments, and a new spring.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
442 Posts
YEP.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BRmudder @ Jan 9 2007, 06:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You can look in my sig for what has been done to my wife's '06 500 auto. We are halfway done with her clutch kit.[/b]
What are the popular clutch kits that everyone has been using?

I'm running stock tire size right now, and I'm not sure if I want to change them until I get some use out of them.

I'm most interested in low and midrange torque upgrades. I don't intend on driving 50 - 60 mph. Most of the riding will be done under 35 mph, but when I nail the throttle, I want the engine to be instantly responsive.

Thanks.

Rick

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been looking around for a couple clutch kits for the 2006 500, and I've seen them from Speedwerx, EPI, and APC. Maybe I just don't understand exactly what is involved. Most of the kits I've seen are price around $180 - $200. From what I see you get a spring and some roller weights. Does anyone else think that $200 is a bit steep for that or do I just not quite get it? I've seen complete factory replacement clutches selling for less than that. What gives?

Thanks for the input.

Rick

·
Registered
116 Posts
The clutch kit has new springs and roller weights for the internal primary clutch and a new spring for the secondary clutch. I'm having trouble with my wife's EPI clutch kit right now and I don't know anything about the other brands.
Just about everyone in our group has clutch kits, made by EPI, and they all work great.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Let me know how the mods work for your wife's bike. I'm looking to add a pipe, jet kit, clutch kit, and K&N filter/snorkel to my 500 as well. I was leaning toward the speedwerx setup, but I'd be interested to know how your setup works too. I'm just trying to find a performance mods that work well together. The last thing I want is to create more headaches.

Thanks for the reply. I saw your post about the clutch kit. I wish I could help.

Rick

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 05 500 automatic 4x4 and need to improve the low end power (really dogy) not enough power in high range and too slow in low range to make up steep hills, and in mud, its ok on good trails but i would like more power!!!!! What can I do that wont cost too much?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It depends on what you define as expensive. I've been discussing performance mods with a number of the members here and on highlifter.com. The following mods are the ones that have been most recommended to me.

1. Air Filter Upgrade ($50 - $100 or so)
Everyone seems to agree that the engine intake is restricted too much. Most recommend snorkelling the unit even if the snorkels are not brought up above the handlebar level. Most guys have run regular 2" pvc pipe for this. It is especially important to do this upgrade if you are going to go riding in or around water and mud.

2. Exhaust System Upgrade ($237 - $250)
The factory exhaust system seems to value quiet sound levels over performance. The popular aftermarket exhaust upgrades are available from HMF Engineering, Speedwerx, Supertrapp, and others. Some of the upgrades also include new carb jets to increase fuel flow as well. The machine will be noticably louder after the upgrade though.

3. Carb Jet Upgrade ($50)
As stated above with the increase airflow due to better air filters and freer flowing exhaust, it is often necessaryto increase the jet sizes in the carbe to get a proportionate increase in fuel.

4. Carb Slide Jet Modification ($0)
Many ATV owners with slide style carburetors will drill out the vacuum port in the slide to 1/8" or so. This will increase the throttle response of the engine. It does not change anything other than that. This mod can be made without affecting anything else.

5. Clutch modifications ($50 - $200)
With the addition of larger tires many people wish to make clutch upgrades in order to get a better energy transfer from the engine to the wheels. Kits are offered from a number of different vendors such as speedwerks, EPI, Dalton Industries, and others.

I've chosen to order the exhaust system from Speedwerx which comes with new carb jets and make the slide modification. I'm also going to snorkel the intake and add a K&N air filter. The total cost for these upgrades should be around $300 or so.

Keep in mind that many riders claim it can take as much as 800 miles for the engine and drivetrain to be fully broken in and realize maximum power. If your unit has fewer miles than this you may not have reached maximum output.

The best resources I've found for learning more about Arctic Cat performance upgrades:

www.arcticchat.com
www.highlifter.com
www.atvconnection.com
www.speedwerx.com
www.hmfengineering.com
www.bikebandit.com
www.motosport.com
www.quadworks.net
www.supertrapp.com
www.theoutdoorshopinc.com

Rick

1 - 17 of 17 Posts