Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i posted a few weeks back about my 400 running doggish. and not idling. well heres what ive done. replaced spark plug old one was black( running rich) atv starts better and feels better but still very doggish barely reaches 30-35 mph also from a dead stop if i get on it it misses and then takes off.it also wont idle even after riding for a half hr or more it just keeps stalling. the idle slowly decreases it starts to click from the motor area and then just stalls(could my electric choke be sticking). i cleaned and reoiled my air cleaner because i originally thought i over oiled it but it didnt help. i used super grade fuel and seafoam still nothing. i went to clean my spark arrestor because ive never done it i just assumed the dealership had because i have a service plan from them but obvioulsy not because the bolts are all frozen and the only one that moved broke. i always wd40 them to keep them from rusting in there but obviously it didnt work. so do i need to replace my muffler or is there something i can do. maybe a good after market one? ive never had to adjust my carb its always ran excellant hot or cold high altitude or low and always idled no problem no matter what the temp could this be my issue? im at a loss here. i also got issues with my locker working and then not while its supposed to be engaged and no one can seem to figure this one out either. any and all help is greatly appreciated the warm weather is coming and id like to have the cat back and running right.

·
Registered
75 Posts
wow, sure wish i could help....... any one else have any ideas????? i know i am not the only one who has read this

·
Registered
81 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rango726 @ Mar 18 2007, 06:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i posted a few weeks back about my 400 running doggish. and not idling. well heres what ive done. replaced spark plug old one was black( running rich) atv starts better and feels better but still very doggish barely reaches 30-35 mph also from a dead stop if i get on it it misses and then takes off.it also wont idle even after riding for a half hr or more it just keeps stalling. the idle slowly decreases it starts to click from the motor area and then just stalls(could my electric choke be sticking). i cleaned and reoiled my air cleaner because i originally thought i over oiled it but it didnt help. i used super grade fuel and seafoam still nothing. i went to clean my spark arrestor because ive never done it i just assumed the dealership had because i have a service plan from them but obvioulsy not because the bolts are all frozen and the only one that moved broke. i always wd40 them to keep them from rusting in there but obviously it didnt work. so do i need to replace my muffler or is there something i can do. maybe a good after market one? ive never had to adjust my carb its always ran excellant hot or cold high altitude or low and always idled no problem no matter what the temp could this be my issue? im at a loss here. i also got issues with my locker working and then not while its supposed to be engaged and no one can seem to figure this one out either. any and all help is greatly appreciated the warm weather is coming and id like to have the cat back and running right.[/b]
It certainly sounds like your fuel enrichment/electric choke is stuck on ..... doesn't idle well, bogs at mid rpm, and plug is black .... can't be sure but certainly sounds like it ..... there's one small screw that holds it on to the left side of the carb with a black plastic sock/cover over it. Pull it out carefully and see if the spring is stuck and then reseat back in and give it a try, might help :)

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
locker might need adjustment (cable loose), there are adjustments on top and down by diff.
i would have to aggree with either your choke is sticking or float is sticking. i would take a good look with a flash light to make sure it's pluged in and no other obvious problems (hoses ect). might not be a bad idea to unskrew the drain and drain you bowl on the carb if you haven't allready also.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys ill give it a shot

·
Registered
134 Posts
i had the same thing when i got mine. it was a stuck float. also drained the bowl and it was back in buis.

cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts