Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my ATV on Saturday from a 500 mile tune-up which includes the oil change. Tonight I went into my garage and smelled gas. I looked under my ATV and there's a pool of gas under it. Upon closer look, there's a puddle of gas directly under the oil filter sitting on top of the skid plate and dripping through the holes in the skid plates. Everything is dry underneath except for a trail that appears to go up to the oil filter. When I run my finger around the oil filter and through the trail of liqued, the liqued is defintly gas. Has anyone ever had this issue? Is there something else I should check? Do dealers use Gas to clean around or lubricate the oil filter (I'm NOT a mechanic)?

·
Registered
81 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kaptap @ Jan 23 2007, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I picked up my ATV on Saturday from a 500 mile tune-up which includes the oil change. Tonight I went into my garage and smelled gas. I looked under my ATV and there's a pool of gas under it. Upon closer look, there's a puddle of gas directly under the oil filter sitting on top of the skid plate and dripping through the holes in the skid plates. Everything is dry underneath except for a trail that appears to go up to the oil filter. When I run my finger around the oil filter and through the trail of liqued, the liqued is defintly gas. Has anyone ever had this issue? Is there something else I should check? Do dealers use Gas to clean around or lubricate the oil filter (I'm NOT a mechanic)?[/b]

Feel around the carb boots and see if it's coming from the carb and running down the crankcase to the filter area ...also check the overflow tube that is coming off the bottom of the carb ... perhaps they were mucking with the float adjustment and it's now overflowing out that tube, also check the gas feed to the carb and make sure the clamp on the hose is tight ???? just some ideas

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JandJsTA @ Jan 23 2007, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kaptap @ Jan 23 2007, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I picked up my ATV on Saturday from a 500 mile tune-up which includes the oil change. Tonight I went into my garage and smelled gas. I looked under my ATV and there's a pool of gas under it. Upon closer look, there's a puddle of gas directly under the oil filter sitting on top of the skid plate and dripping through the holes in the skid plates. Everything is dry underneath except for a trail that appears to go up to the oil filter. When I run my finger around the oil filter and through the trail of liqued, the liqued is defintly gas. Has anyone ever had this issue? Is there something else I should check? Do dealers use Gas to clean around or lubricate the oil filter (I'm NOT a mechanic)?[/b]

Feel around the carb boots and see if it's coming from the carb and running down the crankcase to the filter area ...also check the overflow tube that is coming off the bottom of the carb ... perhaps they were mucking with the float adjustment and it's now overflowing out that tube, also check the gas feed to the carb and make sure the clamp on the hose is tight ???? just some ideas
[/b][/quote]

Isn't the oil filter located at the front of the engine on the 400 4x4?? Strange place to be finding gas but like JandJsTA said check around the carb area for any signs of leaks, overflow hose rerouted. Where is the gas tank vent line located, does it run up under the steering pod? Have you check the crankcase oil, proper level?

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
is there a fuel tank vent tube up to the steering coloum? mabey that, was it full of fuel when you trailered/trucked home? some might have splashed out the over flow.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I checked all around the carb boots and hoses and everything's tight. The gas overflow line is almost right over the oil filter, so maybe it was overflow. But it was a lot of gas on the floor...not just a few drops. I'm going to Hatfiled McCoys next month, so I'll bring it to the dealer this weekend rahter than risk it breaking down.

·
Registered
182 Posts
when my carb was leaking it would only do it when it was running and shortly after you cut it off. It was the main line going into the carb from the pump. I believe its on the left hand side.

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
kap i replied to you in the other forum but just incase you dont get it. there are several people who had that problem.and no its not drips it pours out i watched it do it.but it stopped on its own and hasnt done it since.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts