Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
looking at a 05 900 with 2600 miles on it. whats the good bad and ugly of this sled. Is the 900 motor problematic?? Any tips on a good clutch kit/exhaust. Looking for any insite/pointers on the sled. not sure if i am going to get rid of the crossfire, but have always had a soft spot for the last of the zr's.

·
Registered
94 Posts
looking at a 05 900 with 2600 miles on it. whats the good bad and ugly of this sled. Is the 900 motor problematic?? Any tips on a good clutch kit/exhaust. Looking for any insite/pointers on the sled. not sure if i am going to get rid of the crossfire, but have always had a soft spot for the last of the zr's.
I have an '06 ZR900 EFI I bought last year. It's been trouble free, but still lo mi. (< 2000mi.)

Not sure when they went to the 10.4" secondary, but prior to that I believe there were some issues with the diamond drive stripping splines.

This has been by far the best sled I've ever owned (out of 10) and I hope to have it a long long time.

·
Registered
40 Posts
diamond drives are junk, i have an 03 900, 144" 1 1/2 track, d+d clutching, rumble pack and just love it, rebuilt at 3500 miles because of a cracked carb boot so pay attention, also shim those apv's 20 thow

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have diamond drive in my current sled so i am aware of what that is like. The sled is not a snopro model, so i think it has the 1inch track, havent went to look at it yet. Also is a carb model, so i am more hesitant about it not being efi than anything. From the pictures i cannot find a scratch on it, any ideas what would be a fair price??

Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
i have diamond drive in my current sled so i am aware of what that is like. The sled is not a snopro model, so i think it has the 1inch track, havent went to look at it yet. Also is a carb model, so i am more hesitant about it not being efi than anything. From the pictures i cannot find a scratch on it, any ideas what would be a fair price??

Thanks
also what did you gain by shimming the apv's.
I see the carbs as a + rather than a -, much cheaper to tune for mods, and can be run on 87 octane ethanol fuel, whereas I've heard of efi guys that get detonation even with the jumper in ethanol position. Shimming the APV's prevents any valve/piston contact, the clearance is very tight there.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Strong motors they hold there own, there not as fast as a chain driven. And yes the 04 (first year) was total junk nothing but problems my buddy always was showing up to my shop with something wrong with it. But every 8/9 I have worked on failure was due to poor maintance or failed pistons from running them way over the milage you should, bottomend is beefy and are torque monsters can pull the skis up on my buddys 05 1m chain driven and is EFI. Efi is symple if you know how the system works and is way easier to dial in then a carb as you can just push a button but cost more to get that power but you dont have to remove anything so the $500 for the Programmer in my mined is worth it then the option of big bore is still there with the two pull in cold weather.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I have an 05 That Has Been THE BEST SLED I EVER OWNED. The only problem I ever had was with the track drivers. I bought the Black Diamond set-up and have never had another problem. Mine is carbed. Had a couple EFIs and had nothing but problems.

I have a New set of SLP pipes if your interested.....

·
Registered
94 Posts

Thanks
I paid $4k for our '06 ZR900EFI in the 2010 off season w/ 700 mi.

It looks like about ~$3200-3800 would be a fair price from craiglist, less if it needs the shocks rebuilt, carbs cleaned, new hi-fax, belt replaced, clutches rebuilt, etc.

·
Registered
40 Posts
shimming the apv's is good preventitive maintenance as the valves can hit the piston resulting in big troubles you don't want! shimming is simple, buy some 20 thow shim stock and trace out the back piece and there you go, one less thing to worry about

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well i verbally agreed to buy the sled so....what do you recommend for clutch kits. Have run goodwin in my other sleds and have been happy. have heard alot about different y pipes. Any thoughts running a can on the big bore sleds???

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
well i verbally agreed to buy the sled so....what do you recommend for clutch kits. Have run goodwin in my other sleds and have been happy. have heard alot about different y pipes. Any thoughts running a can on the big bore sleds???

Thanks

I purchased an 05' 900 sno pro about a month ago and absolutely love it. It has a can (believe it is an MBRP) which is pretty loud and it goes like hell. I can't tell you if it makes any difference versus a stock muffler because this is all I've driven.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
any thoughts on what company to look at for clutch kits. Also what kind or rejetting will be expected with a y-pipe and can.
Kits run
Speedwerx $254
D&D $215
Goodwin $280

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 05 That Has Been THE BEST SLED I EVER OWNED. The only problem I ever had was with the track drivers. I bought the Black Diamond set-up and have never had another problem. Mine is carbed. Had a couple EFIs and had nothing but problems.

I have a New set of SLP pipes if your interested.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am interested in those pipes if you still have them I own an 05 900 am been looking for a set please call or text me if you still have them 207-242-2177

1 - 17 of 17 Posts