Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have two 05 T660 turbos that have less than 5000 miles on them and the driveshaft bearing on the spedometer side let go on both. One of them only had 3900 miles and the other 4600 miles. A couple of friends also have T660 turbos and the same happened to one of theirs with also under 5000 miles. To replace these bearings is a very costly venture as it takes 3 1/2 hours to replace. Why is there no grease fitting? Has anyone else had the same problem?

·
Registered
22 Posts
it seems that driveshaft bearing replacement is a very common problem on most sleds. ive seen many go out before they hit 5 thousand miles...steve

·
Registered
266 Posts
Yes, I just replaced the drive shaft bearing on my 05 T660 two weeks ago, being that it's not grease-able my dealer is recommending every 3500 miles to change them out. I had 4200 miles on mine when it let go. You can not put a grease zerk on the speedo pickup point side for the grease would most likely not let the magnet work the way it should. If you put a zerk on the inside of the tunnel the ice would just break it off.....just a bad design!!! My warranty covered everything but $50.00 on my 05.

Paul

·
Registered
22 Posts
I JUST GOT BACK FROM CANADA AND WHILE I WAS THERE THE DRIVESHAFT BEARING WENT WHEN WE WERE 95 MILES FROM TRUCK.HAD TO HAVE DEALER REPLACE AND IT COST 388.00.WE HAVE TWO TURBOS AND I AM GOING TO TAKE THE COVER OFF THE SPEEDO SIDE DURING THE SUMMER AND SPRAY OIL ON THE BEARING IN HOPES THIS WILL SOLVE THE PROBLEM.YOU CAN CHANGE IT BUT IT TAKES 3-4 HOURS,ALSO ARCTIC CAT HAS A NEW BEARING THAT IS SUPPOSED TO BE BETTER.PART NUMBER-1602-972.YOU CAN GET BEARINGS IN THE US FOR APP,12.00 THEY COST ME 48.00 IN CANADA.

·
Registered
10 Posts
How did you know that it was a bearings problem, what were the symptoms? I may be having a similar problem. If it is a bearing problem, can I still drive the sled for a limited duration?

·
Registered
22 Posts
OM MY 2004 THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON,A FEW MILES LATER THE SPEEDOMETER NOT WORKING,ALSO NOISY WHEN TAKING OFF.I WAS NOT RIDING SLED USUALLY U NOTICE IT WHEN TAKING OFF FROM DEAD STOP FEELS LIKE LOOSE TRACK.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hunter 88, your symptoms are a sure sign that your bearing is gone. When the bearings break up, it breaks the spedometer sensor.

BlueMaximus,
Your first symptoms will be a grinding sound that will turn into a rumble or louder grinding and even some squeaks at slow speeds. You'll feel it in the tunnel especially when you drive slower.

·
Registered
266 Posts
BlueMaximus,

If it's the crossover shaft you can drive a few miles to get to a trailer if you go slow; however, you should drive no more than you have to for you do not want to damage the cross over shaft itself. With a drive shaft bearing failure, again take it easy but if the bearing fails and the shaft locks up you will have real problems getting the sled back to a trailer unless you can get to the sled and and carry it out. Like hunter88 stated, once the speedometer goes the check engine light will come on when the RPM gets above 4500 to 5000+/- and there is no mph input. The reason for this is the drive shaft pulls away from the sensing magnet and you lose the input for the MPH. You can reset the computer by disconnecting the battery for about a minute, this will turn out the check engine light and it will stay out as long as you go slow and stay at a low rpm. The opposite end of these shaft's are always in oil from the chain case and you will very rarely see those bearings fail. Bottom line is if you think you have a bearing going, you should not drive it anymore than you have to get the sled where it can be worked on, doing so puts the shaft's at risk and the possibility of damaging the shaft's and chain case. That all adds up to a larger repair bill.

Paul

·
Registered
236 Posts
Cat has been using the same farm implement bearings since the beginning of time. The cheapest thing they can get their hands on. Change at least every 5000 miles even if you have no problems. Sounds like some aren't even getting that out of them. Polaris is almost, if not as, bad. You seldom hear of this problem with SkiDoo and Yamaha. At least not until they are over 10 years old.

If you are going to ride a Cat, it is regular maintenance, just like changing the oil in your car!

Redd

·
Registered
40 Posts
Save yourself future grief and replace your bearings with a good brand name (ie NTN, *** etc). Using manufacturers replacement parts is just asking for more headaches.

·
Registered
142 Posts
My 05 660 Turbo just turned 1200 miles, is there a way to check these bearings to see if wear is starting? What is the average mileage of failure?

·
Registered
9 Posts
These bearing failures are common, one thing that I did when replacing bearings is to remove the inter grease seal so when the speedometer drive gets greased that there is grease going into the bearing. Buy brand name bearings.

·
Registered
266 Posts
ZRturbo,

On 2005 and later T660 sleds there is no grease bearing on the drive shaft bearing, it is a sealed bearing and the speedometer pickup point does not have grease zerk. That was only on earlier models, 05 T660 and later have a magnet pickup sensor.

·
Registered
24 Posts
HEY EVERYBODY! I NEED YOUR HELP!

WE HAVE A2002 ZL600 EFI SS AND THE THUMB WARMER/HEATED VISOR SEEM TO BE DEFECTIVE.
DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS TO HELP ME OUT

THANKS
CATS IN MY BLOOD

·
Registered
22 Posts
It is not so much the miles but the time on the bearing.They are a sealed bearing.The zerk is for the speedo gear only.You could ride 8000 miles in 1 season and there is a good chance the speedo bearing would be OK.The grease wil eventually dry out over time and that is what causes the failure.Now if AC made a bigger hole in the tunnel so that the bearing could be removed from the clutch housing it would make things a lot easier.I usually change mine every 3000 miles-------VERY CHEAP insurance.

·
Registered
103 Posts
:D Hi,
I have a 2006 T660 Turbo Touring LE. Has anyone had this problem on the 2006 model? Also, does anyone have any pic's in relation to this problem? Thanks, Ray

·
Registered
5 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hunter88 @ Mar 5 2007, 09:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I AM GOING TO TAKE THE COVER OFF THE SPEEDO SIDE DURING THE SUMMER AND SPRAY OIL ON THE BEARING IN HOPES THIS WILL SOLVE THE PROBLEM.[/b]
If you put oil in the Bearing, it will not last long at all. Many times I have removed Drive Shaft bearings, cleaned them and repacked them. The best time to do this is before you put it away for the summer.

The Seals on these bearings can be removed using a jeweler's screwdriver and very carefully lifting it out of the bearing. Kerosene or brake cleaner works good for cleaning. Do not dry spin it with air. Then pack it with synthetic Bearing Lube. Reinstall the seals. put some anti-seize on the ID. Reinstall the bearing and your done.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts