Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed there is a 4-stroke section.

Just bought an '05 T660, approx 10,000 KM

Sled is in decent shape, motor is down.

Pulled the motor out, pulled it apart. Piston is banged up a bit due to a dropped valve. valve broke just at the bottom, right as the stem meets the head. This is the cyl on the end, not sure if its #1 or #3. Bore looks like it was saved, no scoring or cracks which im suprised

Apparantly this is the 2nd time this has happened....and confirmed. Cyl #2 was replaced. "50" in the center of it & some scars in the chamber on the head. Looks like it was sleeved possibly as well.

Anyhow, did some searching & cant find this to be a common problem. Buyer says its a dealer recall, needs valve adjustment after X amount of miles which was never performed. I have no idea where you would even adjust the valves on this thing.

Any tips on where to get a replacement piston would be great. Headgasket looks like its MLS so im just going to copper spray it & re-use. Head is going to need the seat repaired & some minor re-welding (touch up) to smooth it up.

Thanks for the info/tips in advance

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have the motor apart....trust me it is not junk. Needs a piston & the head is being picked up today to be repaired. Rebuilt many motors (but not 2 stroke) sled motors, not my 1st time around.

Any info about where to buy some replacement parts besides the dealer?

-Carm

·
Registered
102 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Turbo T/A @ Nov 14 2009, 12:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Just noticed there is a 4-stroke section.

Just bought an '05 T660, approx 10,000 KM

Sled is in decent shape, motor is down.

Pulled the motor out, pulled it apart. Piston is banged up a bit due to a dropped valve. valve broke just at the bottom, right as the stem meets the head. This is the cyl on the end, not sure if its #1 or #3. Bore looks like it was saved, no scoring or cracks which im suprised

Apparantly this is the 2nd time this has happened....and confirmed. Cyl #2 was replaced. "50" in the center of it & some scars in the chamber on the head. Looks like it was sleeved possibly as well.

Anyhow, did some searching & cant find this to be a common problem. Buyer says its a dealer recall, needs valve adjustment after X amount of miles which was never performed. I have no idea where you would even adjust the valves on this thing.

Any tips on where to get a replacement piston would be great. Headgasket looks like its MLS so im just going to copper spray it & re-use. Head is going to need the seat repaired & some minor re-welding (touch up) to smooth it up.

Thanks for the info/tips in advance[/b]

My 2004 660 Turbo did the exact same thing i was driving up in Michigan, engine seemed to be running strong as ever, then wam.. a puff of grey smoke and engine dies,smoke comingout of airbox...Took Spark plug out and it completely mushroomed the bottom of my spark plug knew then and there she was toast...
This all happen just three months out of warranty, and Arctic Cat Got me a NEW engine minus, turbo cuz mine was still good all for $800, So i got pretty lucky with that deal. This happened all around 3500 miles. So i know Arctic Cat knew about my situation!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
after reading the posts, it sounds like there has been some dialogue with A/C regarding checking valves (or valve clearance-adjustment). I own a 04 T660 turbo with 7200 miles. I have searched the owners manual with no mention of having to have valves checked or received any updates from A/C. If there has been a recommendation from A/C, I would very much appreciate a post such a recommendation. I do know my sled is registered with A/C as I have received an updated oil cap from A/C in the mail. Again, thank you for any insight.

·
Registered
356 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Turbo T/A @ Nov 14 2009, 07:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have the motor apart....trust me it is not junk. Needs a piston & the head is being picked up today to be repaired. Rebuilt many motors (but not 2 stroke) sled motors, not my 1st time around.

-Carm[/b]
Pistons are $143.00, exhaust valves are $82.00 and intake valves are $60.00, if it's me and I have the motor tore down, I'm going with the new OEM parts for the couple hundred dollars they cost.

·
Registered
721 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (r schwenz @ Nov 15 2009, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
after reading the posts, it sounds like there has been some dialogue with A/C regarding checking valves (or valve clearance-adjustment). I own a 04 T660 turbo with 7200 miles. I have searched the owners manual with no mention of having to have valves checked or received any updates from A/C. If there has been a recommendation from A/C, I would very much appreciate a post such a recommendation. I do know my sled is registered with A/C as I have received an updated oil cap from A/C in the mail. Again, thank you for any insight.[/b]
If you are the registered owner you should have received a letter from cat informing you to check your valves at 3500 miles. I am doing a riding buddy's sled right now and the shims are on order. The service manual says 7000 miles and Cat cut that in haft with the T660 turbo. At 7200 miles I would get it checked.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vince @ Nov 16 2009, 02:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Pistons are $143.00, exhaust valves are $82.00 and intake valves are $60.00, if it's me and I have the motor tore down, I'm going with the new OEM parts for the couple hundred dollars they cost.[/b]
Care to share where you got those prices from?

-Carm

·
Registered
356 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Turbo T/A @ Nov 16 2009, 08:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vince @ Nov 16 2009, 02:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pistons are $143.00, exhaust valves are $82.00 and intake valves are $60.00, if it's me and I have the motor tore down, I'm going with the new OEM parts for the couple hundred dollars they cost.[/b]
Care to share where you got those prices from?

-Carm
[/b][/quote]
I found those prices at Alpha Sports, note that many Cat shops offer a discount for ordering on line.

http://www.alpha-sports.com/arctic_cat_parts.htm

·
Registered
491 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Turbo T/A @ Nov 14 2009, 08:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

-Carm[/b]
I buy all my parts from countrycat . factory A/C parts way cheaper then Canada . Good selection of used parts too , and the guys seem to really know what they sell .They're in Minnesota so the parts usually arrive quickly .while your at it I would invest in a service manual . Has all the info on how to shim the valves properly and some of the ( IMO ) quirks of theis sled like you can't put it on it's side and bleeding the rad is a bit different .
good luck

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great thanks for the replies. Im currently waiting on a callback from DealerCostPrices, if there's any problems i'll be sure to contact CountryCat as I've read some good feedback for them as well.

-Carm

1 - 15 of 15 Posts