Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought an '05 T660, approx 10,000 KM

Sled is in decent shape, motor is down.

Pulled the motor out, pulled it apart. Piston is banged up a bit due to a dropped valve. valve broke just at the bottom, right as the stem meets the head. This is the cyl on the end, not sure if its #1 or #3. Bore looks like it was saved, no scoring or cracks which im suprised

Apparantly this is the 2nd time this has happened....and confirmed. Cyl #2 was replaced. "50" in the center of it & some scars in the chamber on the head. Looks like it was sleeved possibly as well.

Anyhow, did some searching & cant find this to be a common problem. Buyer says its a dealer recall, needs valve adjustment after X amount of miles which was never performed. I have no idea where you would even adjust the valves on this thing.

Any tips on where to get a replacement piston would be great. Headgasket looks like its MLS so im just going to copper spray it & re-use. Head is going to need the seat repaired & some minor re-welding (touch up) to smooth it up.

Thanks for the info/tips in advance

·
Registered
491 Posts
It's not a dealer recall , but yes AC recomends having the valves checked . The paper that came with the sled as an addition to the owners man. states to have the valves checked / adjusted every 3500 miles , but the shop service manual states do this every 7000 miles .. The valves are adjusted with shims . If you want to do this level of wrenching on this sled i would suggest buying the AC service manual .
As for parts , i buy all mine through countrycat.net . way cheaper then anyone in canada .
Used parts also .
Good luck . it'll be a great sled once you get it going .

1 - 2 of 2 Posts