Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to pull my carbs to give them a good cleaning and lube my choke cables. To do this correctly I have to remove the front fender asembly. I can see I have to pull the front rack and inner fender wells, but its not clear to me how it connects to the foot well area and how to get it over the handlebars and instrument pod. If some could give me a step by step best practice, for getting the front fender assembly off I would appreciate it.

Thanks

·
Registered
741 Posts
It connects to the foot area by grommets. where your plastic meets the floor boards plastics. In your case, there the green ends and the black begins. :chug: You will have to take pliers from inside the fenders, and yank on it to break the connection. Then remove those grommets.

Don't forget to also unhook your lights. You will have to lift, slide back, turn 90 degrees and work it over the handle bars and pod. Always a bitch to get out, but you will see how once you have it lifted and turned. If you have access to another set of ARMS (buddy, wife, someone elses wife haha), it would help alot, but I always did it myself.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
I'll admit that I'm a bit naive about that 500's setup, but it seems very odd that a chap would need to remove the front plastic to get to something as the carb. You sure you don't just need to take off the side plastic covers?

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
yep like sanny said you don't need to remove the fenders but i would recomend unbolting everything and proping up with a block of wood or something, makes access alot easier.
just take the center storage box area completely out then you can get your airbox out and will have a decient amount of room. when i pulled the plastic the little push rivets on the fender flaps towards foot pegs i replaced with all allen head bolt/nuts like the couple that are allready in there because those rivets are kinda a pain until you find the trick to removing (needle nose pliers for me on the inside and pry it off).

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Sorry Sammy...I misread your post. Thought you were referring to a 500 for some reason. The V2 you shouldn't need to remove plastics I wouldn't think. Still not super familiar with the 05 and newer V2 setups. I had an 04 model which had the older body style.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is no way the airbox comes out of the 05 650V2 with the fenders in place. When you pull the glove compartment the hole is far to small to fit the airbox out through. I have accessed the carbs via the side to remove bowl and replace jets, but there is no way to remove the carbs with the front plastics on a 05 V2. The 04's are easy as it is a seperate section, but the 05/06 its all one piece of plastic from the airbox cover all the way to the grill.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
You do not need to remove the fenders to remove the air box or carbs. I have had my air box out many times form jetting and snorkeling remove the "Glove Box" and the radiator cover and the piece that sits right under the pod it takes a little maneuvering however it will come out. I only loosened the front plastic to get the air intake box that sits over the radiator out I am not sure exactly how to remove the fenders completely

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
If the airbox is similar to that of my H1 (which I believe it is), then it's actually 2 boxes (the main airbox and the box by the radiator) and they are connected via a removeable hose/duct.

I might see if I can swing by my local dealer tonight and see if they have a V2 in the shop I can look at. I'm not disputing what you are stating as I haven't tore into the 05/newer V2's with regards to the airbox/carbs.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sanny651 @ Mar 14 2007, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
If the airbox is similar to that of my H1 (which I believe it is), then it's actually 2 boxes (the main airbox and the box by the radiator) and they are connected via a removeable hose/duct.

I might see if I can swing by my local dealer tonight and see if they have a V2 in the shop I can look at. I'm not disputing what you are stating as I haven't tore into the 05/newer V2's with regards to the airbox/carbs.[/b]

That is what I was trying to say, if you loosen the clamps you can take the air box out to clean the carbs without removing the fenders

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have hidden snorkels so the front/first air box is non functional in my machine. I only need to take the main airbox that holds the air cleaner off. cannot see how the main airbox can possibly fit out through the hole that the glove box fits in, the airbox is twice the widthof the hole.

Please lets concentrate on th eisiest way to remove the front plastics. Thanks for your input Arctic Monster, how long does it take to remove and reinstall plastics?

Anyone else have any experience removing front plastics.

·
Registered
257 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sammydogs64 @ Mar 14 2007, 05:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have hidden snorkels so the front/first air box is non functional in my machine. I only need to take the main airbox that holds the air cleaner off. cannot see how the main airbox can possibly fit out through the hole that the glove box fits in, the airbox is twice the widthof the hole.

Please lets concentrate on th eisiest way to remove the front plastics. Thanks for your input Arctic Monster, how long does it take to remove and reinstall plastics?

Anyone else have any experience removing front plastics.[/b]

Take of your front rack first and all of the black molded plastic pieces around the bottom of the pod. Then just remove all corresponding nuts and bolts and the shifter and with a little wiggling you can get them around your handlebars without removing them. Takes me about 10-15 minutes and the front plastic is off!! Don't forget to disconnect the lights as well!!!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Take the plastic off and give it a good bath while it is all apart. Might as well if you're going to be apart. I found a lot of wires chafing on the steering stuff, so I went in and zip tied up wires out of the way. It takes about 10-15 minutes to take it all off. Gravy.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I just replaced my airbox with a new one, along with both hoses, with only removing the two black wheel well fenders

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
frontier brings up an excellent point. This could be a great opportunity to take the plastic off, do your carb work, inspect your wiring and such, and make sure you are "trail ready" for this upcoming year.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guy' this is exactly what I was looking for, with fenders removed it just makes the whole job so much easier. I had a hell of a time lubing the junction for the two choke cables down by the carbs last spring. It took me like and hour to do what I need to do due to the front fenders being in the way.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guy' this is exactly what I was looking for, with fenders removed it just makes the whole job so much easier. I had a hell of a time lubing the junction for the two choke cables down by the carbs last spring. It took me like and hour to do what I need to do due to the front fenders being in the way.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
flush the radiator also when in there
rack off, front bumper you can just take the top brackets off and let it swing to the ground with bottom ones just losened or leave up
unplug headlights
remove seat, side panels
remove storage pouch and front plastic piece under bars
remove all rivets, bolts for front fenders (might want to take inner fenders out also)
guage pod has to come off (nut on key switch and two push rivets)(tip on key nut removal cover with a soft rag then use channelocks to losen and same when reinstall) keeps from scratching the plastic
from what i remember you are going to have to loosen/remove bar clamp for you handle bars but some finagleing when you lift plastic up (rear will come halfway easily but front might have to be worked a bit, youll see) you might be able to turn and clear the bars.

first time it probably took me around 1 hour to take off but now i bet i could have it off in 15 mins now i know what size and location of all the bolts,ect
http://www.arcticchat.com/forums/index.php...&hl=plastic

might want to die-electric grease all your connections while you under there also.
here are a few picts from when mine was all ripped apart

1 - 17 of 17 Posts