Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys i was out on the lake today ice fishing. I ride down to the other end of the lake and they are doing radar.. I have 153 studboys in my 1.375'' track on my 2005 snopro f7 carb.. All stock motor wise... Well the guy said it was about 1000', and i did two runs, fastest i went was 89 mph... I was spinning pretty bad at the beginning when i hit the throttle, even with pics wtf..? Well anyways this kid on an older zr600 (98 or 99) lines up with me and beats me out of the hole and to the end of the track.. He hooked up good, and i spun. He said he had 144 pics, and some clutch work.. I then raced my buddy across the lake, and i smoked him out of the hole.. He was on his 01 xcsp 600 with a ripsaw track and no studs.. But eventually he passed me and i couldnt catch up.. The speedo said 95 on my sled... I couldnt believe it.

When i got home i measured to the inside edge of the outside secondary sheave, and got 3 3/16''.. Isnt it supposed to be about 3 1/8''? I have read that the orange secondary spring is what i should get.. But im not too sure on how to get it out, this is also a DD setup too.. Any ideas? I cant believe that not one but two 600's beat me, after everything ive read about these things being so fast? Im pretty dissapointed, i love this sled so much just wondering what is wrong..

Im pretty damn positive its all stock, i dont think the guy who had it before me messed with the clutching or gearing...?

·
Registered
66 Posts
-Theres an update for the 05 with diamond drive that you can buy. I'm not too sure what it does, but it will fix you no top end problem ( something like a 10.4 conversion to the clutches?). Alot of 05's had similar problems like yours. Many people on this site have done it, they will have more info about it.
Josh

ps: could be your powervalves not opening too, better clean and adjust them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not trying to be a smart ass but I would put all the clutching back to stock. I know most clutch kits improve
acceleration at the expense of top end. By the way...what RPM are you running at? If you got beat out of the hole, you are either not clutched or studded properly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
By the way a 2006 secondary (10.4 dia.) would greatly improve your hole shot. I know it improved mine by
3-4 length on my buddies ZR800.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The thing is it is all stock.. I have 153 studs too.. Im not sure what my RPM's were i didnt check it and i forgot to reset the max rpm.

·
Premium Member
2,559 Posts
You can also go with your stock 10” secondary & have it machined down to match the performance advantage of the 10.4”. I do run the 10.4” and sometimes have a bugger of a time with the belt, as there is less room in the engine compartment with the 10.4”. Clutching changes will also benefit your sled. I run the ODS kit for everyday riding, awesome power & great backshift. Also had Glenn Hall help me with clutching last year, we set my sled up on his dyno & did some testing. Nice guy to have only an hour away from me… Was tough for us to beat the performance of Dan's kit, never did match the backshift.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where can i get the 10.4 update?

·
Premium Member
2,559 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (YZF Rider @ Jan 28 2007, 08:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Where can i get the 10.4 update?[/b]
You can get just the sheaves from ODS to bolt onto your existing secondary; 10.4" conversion Or D&D and Bikeman does the machining of the 10" sheaves. I've tried both ways & found the 10.4" to give better results.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well im not looking to get this thing set up for racing, just thought that this sled should be faster then it is from all that ive read!! I lost to not one but two 600's!! Come on! I would like to have a sled that rocks on the trail like it already does, and when we are on the lake that can kick my buddies asses!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Add 9 mph to the speed you have now and tell me a 600 will be near you. Not! Like I said take off that track if you want large top end. Trust me the 1'' stock track works just fine. My 05 went from 101 to almost 111 just by switching tracks like yours. Yes that is radar. Make sure you are pulling the right rpm, no matter what you do. Same track on the weekend the 1.375 was pulling 94 and the 1" sleds was running 101 in snow, 1/2 mile run, yes radar.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well i went out on the lake today and did three runs on the ice, then my temp light started flashing so i stopped..

This was on the ice that had the snow plowed off of it for about 1000'. I forgot all about doing a run for a longer distance though..

First run: 86mph, 7580 rpm
Second run: 89mph, 7580 rpm
Third run: 87mph, 7380 rpm

These were all about 1000' runs.. And the mph was on the digital speedo..

Stock yellow spring in the primary, and green spring in the secondary..

Does this info help you gurus at all?

·
Registered
209 Posts
your not revving high enough!! you need to take your secondary off in turn your white spring adjuster in 1 or 2 turns to tighten up the secondary spring. just keep doing that until you get a peak of about 7800 rpm. check your belt deflection also.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Switching to a 10.4 isn't going give you that much more top-end (if any at all)........i've got a '05F7dd with the same clutch as yours.........i've done a ****load of reading on this site and HCS and found out that going to a 10.4 secondary alone really won't change top-end.........i've left my clutch stock, adjusted the belt deflection and went to 136 studs from 102. My sled launches outta the hole on ice, and have hit 111mph radar on snow.......not bad for stock sled.....hoping to hit 113 or 114 on ice. 034 belt is still original and has over 1200 miles on it............jmo, but i don't think going to a 10.4 is the answer for your topend.........

·
Registered
514 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (F7_efi @ Jan 31 2007, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Switching to a 10.4 isn't going give you that much more top-end (if any at all)........i've got a '05F7dd with the same clutch as yours.........i've done a ****load of reading on this site and HCS and found out that going to a 10.4 secondary alone really won't change top-end.........i've left my clutch stock, adjusted the belt deflection and went to 136 studs from 102. My sled launches outta the hole on ice, and have hit 111mph radar on snow.......not bad for stock sled.....hoping to hit 113 or 114 on ice. 034 belt is still original and has over 1200 miles on it............jmo, but i don't think going to a 10.4 is the answer for your topend.........[/b]
I believe, dont :Bangin: me if I'm wrong, but the 10.4 is sposed to give you a smoother take off from the start. I dont think it has a whole lot to do with top end.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tf705 @ Jan 31 2007, 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
your not revving high enough!! you need to take your secondary off in turn your white spring adjuster in 1 or 2 turns to tighten up the secondary spring. just keep doing that until you get a peak of about 7800 rpm. check your belt deflection also.[/b]

Do i need a tool to tighten the white spring adjuster??

Also im going to take a look at the powervalves tomorrow and clean them.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am in the process of cleaning them now, they arent that dirty at all.. Only goop is on the top of the valve thats it, where the rod connects to the valve.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well like i said before i cleaned the power valves, and they really werent dirty at all, but now there isnt a speck on them! I then took out the plugs and the tips were golden brown, looks to me like the jetting is spot on. I put new ones in just for the hell of it.. Ran it around the yard, not real fast though, did hold up the rear end to make sure the servo was working, which it was.. It turned once that is what you want right?

·
Registered
205 Posts
yes you will need a tool to tighten your spring adjuster........if you have a welder you can make one real easy. Take off the bolt that hold s your clutch and theres 3 torx bits that hold the end cap. You will see how the adjuster is made. They are known to back off after a while and thats why your rpms are low. Just tighten it up 2-3 turns and keep your rpms on a long pull no higher than 7850. If your spring tension is low you may be slipping belt on top end since there is less side force on the belt.

The 10.4 isnt the cure for low top speed but it provides more contact area for the belt so it helps with slippage and gives you a lower starting ratio for a smoother take off and less slippage.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I agree with Smokin' 05. I would check you belt deflection and get a smaller lug track. I have the same sled and had nothing but problems last year. I switched to a 1/1/4" ripsaw track and the performance is a lot better and this track hooks up just as well. By fixing my belt deflection and switching tracks I haven't had a chance to use a radar but I would say that I have gained about 6-10 mph.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts